How do I keep my free ranging Guinea hens safe from hawks?

I don't have guineas, but have had chickens for a long time; both bantams and full sized birds. When a hawk finds the easy dinner, it may return repeatedly. I lock my birds in their covered run for 10 days or more, until that hawk gives up and moves on. Right now many raptors are heading south, so the population changes a lot. Temporary lockdown mave many lives! Mary

Seeing a hawk come down on my girls and then looking it the issue more closely, I've got to agree. The only possible other way to safely free range them is if you have a really good dog. I would imagine there is a breed particularly good at this. What breed? I have no idea. I'm not sure what good my dog would do and, thus, my girls only go out when I'm present.
Keep in mind it is the dogs personality and not always the breed. Sure a chihuahua will bark at anything but the hawk will carry that away too. I have a german shephard mix I found on July 5th one year. He is terrified of loud noises, rain, wind, storms. But when the hawks and crows fly above the house enjoying the wind he goes insane. He's getting up there in years but he still scares them away. Also I have 21 chickens...some in the pen...some protested to move and half live on my back porch and two go wherever they want. Ive never lost a single one in five years to a hawk or predator. My neighbors son said he saw a bobcat one day and they found a dead mini chicken. It was probably a cat. We do have coyotes but they have never come into my yard. I do have ten dogs so not much comes into my yard except for several stray cats who come in through my window and wait to get fed.

Seeing a hawk come down on my girls and then looking it the issue more closely, I've got to agree. The only possible other way to safely free range them is if you have a really good dog. I would imagine there is a breed particularly good at this. What breed? I have no idea. I'm not sure what good my dog would do and, thus, my girls only go out when I'm present.
We have an Australian cattle dog that keep our chickens safe. People have told me that the ACD is way to aggressive for chickens but it is not that they are to aggressive they are to protective of any thing. He doesn't even let the lil carolina wren nest any where in his chickens area. I have seen him dart across the yard to grab a red tail hawk mid air. He is a ACD mix we picked up at the pound best dog ever.

This is not good news. :-( I had read that hawks will move on after a few weeks, but I truely doubt that when there is free and easy to catch food running around. The idea of cooping them in while not around is an idea that I will have to think about, I just know how unhappy they are cooped up, they love to be out foraging.

A dog is a good idea. I thought of a Great Pyranees, but I don't think my husband wants something that big. :)

Has anyone tried those "chicken saddles" on a Guinea hen?
Depending on how large the area that they are in you might try putting up some spaced guide wires over the area. Years ago I remember going to a fish hatchery and they had wires stretched across the the outdoor tanks that were about 2 feet apart and about 7-8 feet above them. We were told that it helps denture the bird predators from getting to the fish.

As far as dogs go, the Great Pyrenees or Anitolian Shepherd are both flock/herd protectors.

I have a flock of Guinea hens that is slowing being eaten by hawks. Every couple of days the hawk comes and attacks one of my hens. My Guinea hens are free range and I want to leave it that way, they help to rid my yard of ticks and other unwanted bugs (i.e. the # of japanese beetles in my yard has significantly declined since I have gotten my Guineas.

What can I do to keep my Guineas safe while free range.

Back
Top Bottom