How do I keep next door neighbor's free range roosters away

Status
Not open for further replies.

CluckHeaven

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 22, 2011
We live in a neighborhood where every property has 10 acres. Our next door neighbors have 2 roosters that free range on their property - and until we recently acquired our 14 hens it was never a problem. (They also have 2 sheep and a pot belly pig that wander over to chew on our turf because they have used up most of their property with horce fencing)

However, now that we have our ladies - one of the roosters (we have nicknamed him "Fat Albert" because of his demaeaner and constant sidling up to the ladies) is constantly in our yard right outside the fenced in run area (20x20). We would like to have our hens free range on our property - and have tried chasing the rooster off, as well as squirting him with a squirt gun.

Any other suggestions short of new fencing or demanding of our neighbors tha they keep their roo on their own property (which is coming if I cannot figure out a way to keep him away naturally).

Thanks in advance!

cool.png

May I ask why the roosters are a threat? In other words, what problems do you see as arising from their coming over? Knowing this might help folk to provide you with some ideas.

Perhaps ask the neighbor to contain their chickens...but then you would have to do the same. If you let yours free-range, they will eventually make it over to your neighbor's property too.

Well - we don't want the roosters getting the girls knocked up for one thing.... We have the ladies for egg laying....

In terms of free ranging on our property - I'm likely going to install some basic deer netting around the area where the chickens are likely to go into our neighbors yard - but I'm also hoping that we can figure out something else since the kids like the other animals coming to our place

Quote:
I understand if you don't want roosters- but having roosters mating with your girls will NOT affect egg laying at ALL.

Quote:
i would like to know this also.. why cant you free range your hens with these roosters over.. i would kinda see it as a perk. other than a bother..

you can still eat the fertile eggs... they dont become Pregnate like warm blooded creaters do.. the egg will not form until it has 24 hours of a constant temprature and humidity.. people who even incubate eggs have problems hatching them..
i have 6 roosters and use my hens as egg layers also..
the roosters will help warn your hens of danger and help protect them from some predators..

Last edited:
If you want to free-range your hens on your property, you will need a good fence to keep them on your property. Any fence that will contain your hens will also keep the roosters out, so go ahead and put up your fence and you have solved the problem.

And like everyone else says, a rooster mating with a hen will not affect your egg production or egg quality at all. You can't even tell if a hen has been mated, truly.

Again...I have hens and roos, the roos are great...they protect the girls, your neighbors roos may be of great benefit if a predator ever ventures into your yard!
Fertilized eggs, no big deal...hard to tell they are even fertilized! I suggest you let the roos roam, and eat the eggs! Enjoy the free body guards!

Cluckhaven ought to be able to have her own property without the neighbor using it without permission to graze his own animals. It isn't about whether or not the roosters are doing any harm. At issue is property rights and invasive inconsiderate neighbors who think they own and are free to use anything and everything that falls within their line of sight.

Quote:
i could see if that WAS the issue but in a later post she wrote she likes to have the other animal over visiting.. has no problems with the goats or pigs just the roosters
wink.png

Quote:
see she just has an issue with the roosters getting her chickens "pregnant"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom