How do I keep Predators from digging underneath our chicken run

ChickenObsession

Songster
Jul 5, 2018
We are trying to build a 40 foot long chicken run we're not sure how wide yet for making it like someone would build a greenhouse I think Greenhouse would be called a hoop house but instead we're putting chicken wire and hardware cloth on the bottom we need to know whether we need to bury the hardware cloth at the at the bottom underground to keep Predators from digging through or what can we use to make it Predator proof to keep Predators from digging underneath to get our chicken at night they are in chicken houses at night closed up but when we are gone on a vacation maybe a week at a time the door of the chicken house will be open inside the Run we have 22 chickens and sometimes there will be baby chicks a couple times a year I will appreciate any input you have on this or experience

I did an apron of hardware cloth
Capture.JPG

You can bury the hardware cloth strait down. Or if you don't want to dig a lot you can put the hardware cloth around the outside like a skirt and just put an inch or so of dirt on top.
I have a single electric fence wire that goes around the bottom of my run. About 5 inches high. Nothing has tried to dig in since I put that up.

We are trying to build a 40 foot long chicken run we're not sure how wide yet for making it like someone would build a greenhouse I think Greenhouse would be called a hoop house but instead we're putting chicken wire and hardware cloth on the bottom we need to know whether we need to bury the hardware cloth at the at the bottom underground to keep Predators from digging through or what can we use to make it Predator proof to keep Predators from digging underneath to get our chicken at night they are in chicken houses at night closed up but when we are gone on a vacation maybe a week at a time the door of the chicken house will be open inside the Run we have 22 chickens and sometimes there will be baby chicks a couple times a year I will appreciate any input you have on this or experience
I would make an apron of hardware cloth underneath the coop that stretches down a few feet at least. That way predators can't dig under. :)

I do a similar apron around my pens as @Molpet has done. The exception is I buried the HC with about 6" soil, then layed down 2" of concrete on top of the soil. Nothing has even tried to dig under my pens.

I did an apron of hardware cloth
View attachment 1559729
Thank you for sharing that's exactly what I want to do in your picture above!! What did you use on top of your run not the tarp but the fencing I was going to use hardware cloth on the bottom and chicken wire on top or another fencing but then I started worried worrying about the chickens climbing on top and breaking their toes through the chicken wire or if I had to overlap the fencing I've been worried about this could you give me any advice thank you

Back
Top Bottom