How do I keep raccoons away

I wonder if the solar powered fences are just as effective as wired to regular electric service?

Yes, although tend to be more expensive for a given output. Then you bring into consideration cost effectiveness. I use both. Powered of grid for much larger perimeter fencing and solar powered for smaller paddocks I move around and that are well away from grid hookups.

Has anyone tried a radio? A friend said a raccoon won't come around if there is talking

The true effectiveness of electric fencing is in the fact that once a coon or other predator is bit even once by the electricity, the predator is in no hurry to repeat the experience.

So very true.

We hot wired the front fence on our property to keep our dogs where they belong. One had slipped through the fence and had a run in with a neighbors pick up truck resulting in a broken pelvis.

One by one each dog encountered the hot wire. It only took one hit on four of them to teach them to keep away from the fence line. The other took two hits but it solved the problem very well.

We plan on hot wiring our chicken run and coop. First to keep predators away and second to teach the same five idiot dogs that the coop and run are off limits.

So very true.

We hot wired the front fence on our property to keep our dogs where they belong. One had slipped through the fence and had a run in with a neighbors pick up truck resulting in a broken pelvis.

One by one each dog encountered the hot wire. It only took one hit on four of them to teach them to keep away from the fence line. The other took two hits but it solved the problem very well.

We plan on hot wiring our chicken run and coop. First to keep predators away and second to teach the same five idiot dogs that the coop and run are off limits.

I had a dog who accidently contacted a temporary electric fence used to keep cows contained. Even after the one wire electric fence was removed Dog would NOT cross that patch of ground for over 5 years.

Sorry about your 6th dog.

After they learn not to enter the area where the coop and run is, you better put them inside the fenced off area so that they can learn that an electric fence bites in both directions. The dog mentioned above would run all the way around a 40 acre pasture to access where my cows were. Because I was in that area. But going in the opposite direction Dog was never the least bit shy about crossing the ground where the temporary fence was. Because Dog was only bitten while entering the pasture but not while leaving the pasture.

I am using fencing and dogs. Dogs, kids and I get zapped once in a while but all have figured out it is not the end of the world when we do. We still avoid when possible but their are times when other considerations are more important and the risk is justified. Balance the charge so as to exceed the benefits the predator expects to get.

The idiot furry child with the broken pelvis survived but it was 12 weeks of carrying the little block head around as she couldn't walk more than a few steps. Evidently it was what she needed as she runs like the wind today and enjoys digging out voles from the pasture. Her brother's nose was inches from the truck's front wheel. They were both very lucky.

Australian Cattle dog won't go near the front fence. He's the one that took two zaps. Both my husband and myself have tangled with the fence and yep, it makes you invent new swear words. But I can swear to the fact that they work.

At the moment the fence is not charged. Doesn't seem to matter. Dogs still are not going near it.

Back
Top Bottom