How do I keep the run dry

I really think that you should have learned more about chickens before you got them and if you can't keep the coop much dryer than the photo shows then you shouldn't have chickens. This seems awfully unhealthy to me. You could put about 6 inches of wood chips on the floor to help absorb the water. They need to have somewhere to be warm or cool, safe and happy and dry with a comfy spot to lay eggs

They don’t use the run much they usually free range
That’s good to hear! I’m a newbie chicken raiser but if there’s one thing I’m sure of it’s, the more freedom the better. The only time my chickens go in the run by choice is when it rains or snows. Maybe you could build them a shelter that’s not attached to the coop?
I use a thick layer of natural sand (‘river run’) for bedding in the run (get it in bulk from a quarry). Sand drains well. A bed of straw in one corner, and some straw spread over the sand.

Last edited:
I have this small run but it keeps getting wet. Is that ok? How to keep it dry? I can’t change or move the coop
Don’t let all the critics get to you. I’m new to this too. Everyone makes mistakes. The main thing is that you love and respect your animals and that you’re trying to work out what’s best for them. If you didn’t you wouldn’t be posting on this forum.

Reading through this entire post has left me with some questions. Marshmallow how old are you? Do you live at home with someone/parent(s)? The reason I ask is some of the questions and solutions posted by others seem to have you confused and frustrated. What you are showing us here (and in your other posts) have me believing that you need more direct help formulating a solution for your girls than this sometimes contentious forum can provide.

Have you seen anyone near your home with chickens? Is it possible to talk with them directly and maybe have them look at you situation and help with the design of your coop? I am sure most here have shared advice with neighbors and friends who live nearby and have happy helped when asked.

Maybe even one of the BYC members live close or in you community and could help with some eyes on the ground. Your account says Canada but what town/city. Maybe put out a message for fellow chicken lovers in your town on BYC.

I will however agree that from what has been shown in this post the space you have seems cramped and not conducive to a healthy environment for your chickens.

good luck

It is never ok to expose chickens to water, moisture, dampness of any kind, of any degree. This structure looks like a coop to me, roost bars, poop shelves, and hopefully that dark little box is not a nest box. A rain gutter feeding into any structure used for your birds is not ok.
Sickness and multiple health problems waiting to happen. If they free range most of the time,(which in itself is a dangerous precedent if you are concerned about the welfare of your flock) they should have a completely dry and clean place to go if they need to rest from foraging, hide from predators or to escape inclement weather. Clean, dry nest boxes are a necessity.

@TraceeP1 is right about the downspout, and the pipe you need to use to make sure the run floor stays dry.

My run is on concrete, and I put some rice hulls in it. They dry quickly, and will not compost quickly. That does mean you have to clean them out and replace them every once in a while. I do it about every 2 months, but the chickens don't spend much time in there.

Do you have any current pictures? If we had pictures of the area around the coop and run, we may be able to give other suggestions, too.

Reading through this entire post has left me with some questions. Marshmallow how old are you? Do you live at home with someone/parent(s)? The reason I ask is some of the questions and solutions posted by others seem to have you confused and frustrated. What you are showing us here (and in your other posts) have me believing that you need more direct help formulating a solution for your girls than this sometimes contentious forum can provide.

Have you seen anyone near your home with chickens? Is it possible to talk with them directly and maybe have them look at you situation and help with the design of your coop? I am sure most here have shared advice with neighbors and friends who live nearby and have happy helped when asked.

Maybe even one of the BYC members live close or in you community and could help with some eyes on the ground. Your account says Canada but what town/city. Maybe put out a message for fellow chicken lovers in your town on BYC.

I will however agree that from what has been shown in this post the space you have seems cramped and not conducive to a healthy environment for your chickens.

good luck
I noticed Marsmallow said the coop is dry, and the chickens mostly free range, so maybe they don’t spend all that much time in that run, anyway.

I noticed Marsmallow said the coop is dry, and the chickens mostly free range, so maybe they don’t spend all that much time in that run, anyway.
Her run is very enclosed, and I think that if it's damp, the coop will likely be damp, too. The biggest problem is that it's likely to be very wet in there on the days the chickens are likely to stay in (heavy rain, snow, stormy).

I have this small run but it keeps getting wet. Is that ok? How to keep it dry? I can’t change or move the coop
Hens need to dust bath in order to clean their feathers and to control mites and lice.
so an outdoor area which has dry dirt for them to dig is an essential part of their life if they’re to be happy and content. I have tarps over some sections of each run and my hens go out into our yard each day. I notice how very desperate, a hen who’s been broody is, to get out and onto some dry dirt for a dust bath.

For a dust bath, you can also make one with a big container and some dirt. Take out the rocks, and add some sand of you can.
0107211552~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom