How do I keep the run dry

Pics

Marshmallow1234

Songster
Oct 25, 2020
Canada
I have this small run but it keeps getting wet. Is that ok? How to keep it dry? I can’t change or move the coop

Attachments

• 7808C7A8-DAD9-42CE-A626-D1CF20DDF5BE.jpeg
    7808C7A8-DAD9-42CE-A626-D1CF20DDF5BE.jpeg
    641.3 KB · Views: 115
I think the OP is no different than a lot of people that jump head first into getting an animal they don't know how to take care of. The difference here is the OP is trying to fix the issues. If OP didn't care, they wouldn't respond and ask for clarification. To anyone that thinks OP is doing a horrible job, leave the thread. Simple as that. OP is doing what they can to fix things. There is no need to just respond and say OP is doing a terrible job without giving proper advice. Be nice people, jeez

That is a very small area, and one can see that water drains into there. The first thing you would have to do to make it dryer would be to extend the rain down-spouting to drain to the outside. You would also have to seal any water leaks from where the spouting comes in, and other areas of drainage.
I have to say, it doesn’t look like a good area for a run, and I don’t know what other outside space exists there, but you should build a new run.
I wouldn’t keep an animal in that little space.

So you want me to shovel the floor out replace it with straw and then remove the roosting place and replace it with a what? And also you want me to put food and water on the roof
I think everyone is just having some trouble understanding exactly what your arrangement is and we are just trying to help you and your birds. Maybe a fuller explanation would help.
Is this picture below everything there is? Or is there another structure not shown on the picture?
You keep mentioning that they have a dry coop with roosts - but is this structure what you call the coop? Or is the coop somewhere else?
If this is all of it, then it would be helpful to see a picture or a sketch of your yard so we can help you figure out how to make a place that is OK for chickens to live.
I am just trying to understand so people can help.

1610061514208.png

Reading through this entire post has left me with some questions. Marshmallow how old are you? Do you live at home with someone/parent(s)? The reason I ask is some of the questions and solutions posted by others seem to have you confused and frustrated. What you are showing us here (and in your other posts) have me believing that you need more direct help formulating a solution for your girls than this sometimes contentious forum can provide.

Have you seen anyone near your home with chickens? Is it possible to talk with them directly and maybe have them look at you situation and help with the design of your coop? I am sure most here have shared advice with neighbors and friends who live nearby and have happy helped when asked.

Maybe even one of the BYC members live close or in you community and could help with some eyes on the ground. Your account says Canada but what town/city. Maybe put out a message for fellow chicken lovers in your town on BYC.

I will however agree that from what has been shown in this post the space you have seems cramped and not conducive to a healthy environment for your chickens.

good luck

Back
Top Bottom