1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I keep the unhatched eggs from being moved by the hatched chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MA Mama, Feb 15, 2012.

1. MA Mama

MA Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    How do I keep the unhatched eggs from being moved by the hatched chicks? I have heard people hatch in egg cartons, but how does this work, and where do the chicks go after they hatch? Do they just plop out?

2. MA Mama

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    The later eggs of my last hatch were definately rolled all over the place. :(

3. Provident Acres

Provident Acres Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    I've been hatching in foam egg cartons for awhile now and I like it better. They zip and pop the top open like a lid, rest for a bit and then out they go. [​IMG]

4. MA Mama

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    OK, cool! So, dumb question, do they get hurt as they emerge from the egg onto the wire flooring? I'm sure they don't since you do it, but it seems like a drop! Any reason for foam versus cardboard? Also, you put them in the carton at lockdown, right?

5. Provident Acres

Dec 28, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    Yep, I put them in the carton at lock down. I line the bottom of my incubators with shelf liner, the stuff you use in the kitchen cabinets. I buy the kind with the little square holes in it not the solid kind. So when they come out they land on that. I don't like the chicks being on the wire personally. I use the foam egg cartons because that's what I use here for our eating eggs. [​IMG]

6. MA Mama

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    You have been very helpful - thank you so much. [​IMG]

7. builderone

builderone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Thanks for the info I am gonna get some shelf liner i like that idea.

8. Provident Acres

Dec 28, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    Your welcome. [​IMG] Good luck on your hatch!

9. builderone

builderone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    I hope it goes well, I just built a new incubator for this batch. so far it is working good.

10. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Don't use paper egg cartons. They can suck the moisture and lower your humidity. I also save the tops for eggs that are too smalll or big for the cups, they get rolled a little, but not as much as loose eggs. I also like using the shellf liner. Its less messy and chicks won't get stuck to it. Ive had a few chicks get stuck to the wire while they where drying off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by