How do I keep the unhatched eggs from being moved by the hatched chicks?

MA Mama

Songster
8 Years
Jan 21, 2012
MA
How do I keep the unhatched eggs from being moved by the hatched chicks? I have heard people hatch in egg cartons, but how does this work, and where do the chicks go after they hatch? Do they just plop out?

I've been hatching in foam egg cartons for awhile now and I like it better. They zip and pop the top open like a lid, rest for a bit and then out they go.
smile.png

OK, cool! So, dumb question, do they get hurt as they emerge from the egg onto the wire flooring? I'm sure they don't since you do it, but it seems like a drop! Any reason for foam versus cardboard? Also, you put them in the carton at lockdown, right?

Yep, I put them in the carton at lock down. I line the bottom of my incubators with shelf liner, the stuff you use in the kitchen cabinets. I buy the kind with the little square holes in it not the solid kind. So when they come out they land on that. I don't like the chicks being on the wire personally. I use the foam egg cartons because that's what I use here for our eating eggs.
smile.png

Don't use paper egg cartons. They can suck the moisture and lower your humidity. I also save the tops for eggs that are too smalll or big for the cups, they get rolled a little, but not as much as loose eggs. I also like using the shellf liner. Its less messy and chicks won't get stuck to it. Ive had a few chicks get stuck to the wire while they where drying off.

Back
Top Bottom