How Do I know Gender

How old are they and how many? I'm seeing six? lavender and one buff, I think. All of them that I can see clearly are cockerels. You can't tell by looking at the vent unless you're experienced, and at this age, male feathering is clearly visible. If you post pictures of them individually it should be much easier to tell what is what.
1. Can you give me advice on individual photography of birds and catching them?
2. They were born November 7

Looks like a bunch of boys from what I can tell.
At around 4 weeks old you'll want to look for comb and wattle growth. The bigger and redder the combs and wattles are the more likely that it is a male. Male specific feathering will start to come in at around 12 weeks old.

There all males and unless you have lav hens keeping a lav rooster will give you all black chicks bred to other breeds

Really? Because it was so bad we almost never got chickens again. I finally talked my husband into trying Orpington because people said they were calm and mellow. It took two years! He's worried about even trying a different breed in case. Because these guys are great.
Yep, raised them for years. Could've been just the stock you acquired.

I've had Orpingtons that were so dramatic, they'd freak out with the slightest sound, or movement, or just me picking them up. But I've also had plenty that were friendly, or just didn't care.

Back
Top Bottom