How Do I know If a Hen Has Gone Broody

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Linnren, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Several of my buffs can be very protective of their eggs, but up here in the north country i certainly don't want them to go broody for at least three months. How will I know which ones to leave on their nests and which ones to keep removing the eggs from when the time comes?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  2. maxpedley

maxpedley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Check their belly. I f they feel watrm and have pulled their feathers out they are broody. Also a hen which pecks you is usually broody

3. CrazyChookLady5

CrazyChookLady5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    i can tell my chooks go broody because if I go to collect the eggs they are sitting on they puff up and usually peck, where's if they aren't broody they will jump up and run off squawking their heads off!! [​IMG]
    not sure if this helped at all...

4. packer fan

packer fan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    I have a sex link that has acted as if she wanted to go broody. She'll show all the signs do I'll giver her eggs just wondering how many eggs would a topical hen stay broody with.

I know sex links generally aren't broody but this little hen has always taken an interest in acting broody and when my silkie hatched out a clutch of six she (the sex link) was very interested in the little chicks. She is once again showing signs of going broody how can I encourage her, is it not enough eggs or is it just false broodiness?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by