How do I know if I have fertile wood duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Littleducky, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Littleducky

Littleducky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    La Center, Wa
    I got 5 wood duck eggs last week from on e of my hens. I removed them from the pen because she laid them in the dog house not in one of the nest boxes and it has started snowing here again. I was worried about the weather.

I had great success last year hatching in the incubator. I was just wondering how do I know if they are fertile. It is now going on 7 days in the bator and I am not seeing any veins. This leads me to believe that they wern't fertile. [​IMG]

Anyone have any suggestions? Please let me know thanks

2. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well, I know it will be difficult to do - but you might want to crack one open and look for the little bullseye. I know how you feel - I am going to start incubating today for fertility checks and my worst fear is that none of them are fertilized yet. None of my wild ducks are laying yet, so mine aren't as valuable as yours, but it is still hard to waste a little life if you don't have to. [​IMG]

3. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    i would give them a few more days. but, if you cant wait i would do just as duckyboys said.
    good luck and happy hatchin

4. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    jsut put them in the incubator and see what's there do crake it, [​IMG]

then forsure it will be dead

5. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:It is already in the incubator for a week (with no life signs).

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

If there are no veins at day 7, im guessing they arent fertile. Do you have equal numbers of hens to males. They mate in pairs. Also, do they have a water dish that is large enough for them to mate in?

7. wadek2008

wadek2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have some wood duck eggs in the bator now. I've heard brooding them is hard, do you mind PMing me a little about how you did it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by