HOW DO I KNOW IF MY THERMOMETER IS ACCURATE?!

P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
I have a four year old digital thermometer from radio shack in the incubator. It was accurate.....When I used it four years ago! But since then the probe has been put outside the bathroom window to read the outdoor temperature. Would that affect hwo accurate it is? Before I put the batch of shipped eggs in the 'bator and risk them, how do I check if my thermometer is accurate? THANKS!

You should buy a second thermometer to check the difference in temps
smile.png

Set your hot tap running in the range of a medical thermometer, and compare the temp. you get from each.

Alternatively, get some modelling clay. Make an egg sized lump and set it in your incubator for an hour or two. Then take the internal temp with your probe and your medical thermometer (pref 2 if you have them)

I calibrated all mine that way, then labelled the difference on each.

Quote:
I tried to check it against the thermostat- It was within one degree. It registered about a degree cooler than the thermostat. So the 'bator says it's holding steady at 99.5 (YAY!)...So, assuming for safety's sake it could be up to a degree cooler in there....It's about 98.5 or 98.7 Farenheit. Is 98.7 degrees in a forced air incubator okay?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom