How do I know if this hydrometer is working properly?

I have a similar incubator. I used a Govee, which I calibrated using a very old, very reliable analog one. Meat thermometers are also pretty reliable for temperatures.

While incubating, I usually added water twice a day, between 5-10 ml each time. I put in a little more (maybe 15-20 ml) for lockdown, and it was fine. So you were correct, and their directions are way, way off.
Yeah I used to use a meat thermometer for my homemade incubator last year, but I didn’t have any success with that incubator so my parents bought me this one for Christmas. Unfortunately the meat thermometer got broken by my mom 😂.

Do you mean I was right putting a half a cup in the incubator?

Yeah I used to use a meat thermometer for my homemade incubator last year, but I didn’t have any success with that incubator so my parents bought me this one for Christmas. Unfortunately the meat thermometer got broken by my mom 😂.

Do you mean I was right putting a half a cup in the incubator?
No, the tablespoon!! I was putting in half a tablespoon at a time, twice a day or so. It needed to be watched, but I liked the incubator.

Ok so I checked the hydrometer this morning...
image.jpg

It’s only at 72... does that mean it’s always reading 3% higher? Cause that doesn’t make sense

It means it only reads 3% low. Add 3 to all your readings for true RH.

It wasn't off by that much after all. That incubator seems to think incubating with higher humidity is good. I don't agree with that. You can confirm by candling the eggs, use a flashlight in dark room. The size of the air cell will show you if the humidity is ok or too high. This air space if too small will not allow the chicks to breath when they pip the membrane inside shell prior to hatch. Will account for low hatch rates. 30%-40% RH during incubation then up it to 70% prior to hatch in most of our experience works best.

1620163347318.png

It means it only reads 3% low. Add 3 to all your readings for true RH.

It wasn't off by that much after all. That incubator seems to think incubating with higher humidity is good. I don't agree with that. You can confirm by candling the eggs, use a flashlight in dark room. The size of the air cell will show you if the humidity is ok or too high. This air space if too small will not allow the chicks to breath when they pip the membrane inside shell prior to hatch. Will account for low hatch rates. 30%-40% RH during incubation then up it to 70% prior to hatch in most of our experience works best.

View attachment 2649669
That seemed to be what it looked like when I canceled the eggs through the process. The air cell did follow the picture you showed me. Maybe I just got lucky with high humidity I’m not sure lol

Since this incubator seems to have some sort of sloped trough and inaccurate way to control humidity you can use a sponge. Experiment with cutting different sizes of sponge, get them wet and see what size gets your incubator to correct humidity for incubating. The trough at bottom of incubator seems fine to use for hatching. You simply need to find another method for first 18 days. Sponge are good because they hold water, are easy to rewater daily and have a lot of surface area so a small cutting of sponge will work. That or find small containers that fit in incubator. I've used a shot glass of water. But your incubator is so small that may be too large.

It's surface area of water not how deep the water is that effects humidity. Play with different things until you find what works. Use your perfectly functioning hygrometer and have incubator on when experimenting with it. Once you figure out what's going to work add eggs and reap the reward of your effort with better hatch rates.

Back
Top Bottom