How do I know what breed is right for us?

Quote:
You are so awesome

Awwwwwww..... Thanks.
big_smile.png

I edited my last post. You could check Craig's List online.

There is one feed store that is about 15 mins away. They have nothing. The apparently seldom have chicks for sale. Other than that there are ones that are over an hour away, and I don't know how good they are. It is a little far to drive and find out they are horrible. I was looking at McMurray Hatcheries online, some other members had mentioned them. Not sure about them yet, I am still reading about them. A lot of members mentioned something about a place called Ideal. I can't find them online though. I have no idea what their actual full name is

Quote:
With McMurray, you have to have a minimum order of 25 chicks.
sad.png

Purely Poultry has a minimum of 4, I believe? But their postage is insane. I think it is like $40. But I might be mistaken. They are a sponsor of this site.
I will do more research tomorrow & see what I can find.

craigslist is a great resource, my first venture into chickens I found a local guy who was selling pullets (young hens who are mostly feathered out but will need heat at night for a few more weeks.) He seemed knowledgable, his stock all looked lively and healthy and his farm was reasonably clean. He had chickens, ducks, guinea hens, geese, goats and a couple of dogs, oh my! So I felt good going with his birds and have been very happy with them.

This time around I was able to get tiny chicks. Rhode Island Reds, little fluffy chicks and sexed so no roosters...I enjoyed the experience but we did lose a couple...quite common with chicks and this will sound a little harsh...but you know dying is part of living and even when sad things happen it can be a learning opportunty for your kids. They are supposedly the very best brown egg layers, but already I regret not getting a prettier breed.

Quote:
You are so awesome

My hubby prefers the word "insomniac"
lau.gif

At least he talks to you... Mine fell asleep on the couch watching me online. last thing he said before he fell asleep is, I can't believe you are still online. Your eyes are gonna dry out....
lau.gif
You can see how well I listen lol

Quote:
With McMurray, you have to have a minimum order of 25 chicks.
sad.png

Purely Poultry has a minimum of 4, I believe? But their postage is insane. I think it is like $40. But I might be mistaken. They are a sponsor of this site.
I will do more research tomorrow & see what I can find.

Thank you soooooooooooo much! You totally rock!

I also had a list of what I wanted originally after all the research I did and the list is pretty much out the window.
Anywho, as far as the roos go, in my experience the Easter egger roo I had was really great. He was handled everyday by a 6 year old until we re-homed him. Apparently, he is still super nice to the new humans he interacts with. So, the key is handle when wee. Even then, there is no guarantee that the roo will always have a sunny disposition.
I'm in Florida as well and started on this chicken adventure in suburbia last November. I found someone who had all the types of chickens I wanted and then 2 were roos, one was a cannibal and, whoops, that's a Minorca not an Australorp, and so on and so on. My black star is super smart, my blue plymouth rock is also smart (for chickens). I really like the EEs I have now. I also decided that, like any animal, try for the ones with the best descriptions for your personal needs but don't get too upset when they don't line up perfectly to that description. The mutts I have are really great and since I'm not concerned with breeding or showing them, that works for me. Obviously, if you are into breeding and showing you would want to start with super awesome stock of which I am not a reliable source, but as far as egg laying, my random mix of hens are really starting to rock it. And so I learned that what actually occurred at my house is attributed to chicken math, Start with 2 add 8, take out the obvious roos=8, subtract one cannibal, add 4 because you just can't have *one* silkie and *one* orpington, oh, that's not an orpington thats a golden comet male take away 1 add 2 (of course), darnit a couple just weren't good at living, take away 3 add 4, can't say no to the 4-H hatching project, add 4, take away 1 non-survivor, cockadoodle! Goodbye -2 etc etc..We're at a manageable 14 now...now.

What I'm trying to say is this: start with your list and have lots of fun; all of the strains you have looked into look great for what you describe (I am so not an authority on anything but I read a lot) You will find all sorts of chickens to be incredibly easy to come by very soon. There is a Florida Thread on here somewhere and there are swaps announced as well and there are definitely some breeders around with eggs. Naked necks are apparently good Florida chickens (gotta put that on the list) Ours live in coop/run combos under a giant live oak so they are always shaded with dappled sunlight and get to take walks around the yard throughout the week. It's always cooler under the tree.

Back
Top Bottom