natyvidal

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Dade City, Florida
Hi everyone!

Since I am a beginner I am not sure.
The kids were born 12/24-26/2019.
By today it’s been a little over 6 weeks.
They are already eating from the moms feed and chewing a bit of the hay, but they seem to still try to drink from the does udder.

Question: At what age should they be weaned and ready to go home with new owners? Barely 7 weeks I think it’s to soon. Opinions please!

Definitely too young to go to new homes right now, I would wait until they're at least 4 months old if they're not bottle babies. Bottle babies can go earlier, 8 weeks old.

I weaned my kids at eight weeks. Most breeders I know do the same. Laurelwood Acres, which at one time was the biggest goat dairy in the country, weaned their doe kids at eight weeks but didn't wean their buck until they were ten weeks old. I don't know why the difference. At any rate, you need to make sure the kids are eating well before you take them off their mothers. All of my kids were bottle babies.

I think 8-12 weeks is pretty standard depending on breeder. You see them every day and know them. When you feel confident they are eating and drinking water consistently and are at least 8 weeks, you should be good to go for weaning.

Oh, one other thing you can do for a few weeks if you wanted, we have done this is to take mom away during the day and put her back with them at night to nurse. I'm not sure if you have dairy, meat, pet etc, but if you don't want to milk them just yet this works very well since they eat it up at night, and in the morning before you take mom away. This encourages them to eat more solid food and drink water during the day, but they are still getting some from mom.

Back
Top Bottom