How do I know when to help a chick hatch

FIZBIT

Songster
May 9, 2018
OLYMPIA, WA
So I had 6 viable eggs at lock down. 2 have hatched. 1 pipped yesterday almost 24 hours ago. But it pipped on the bottom. The other 2 rolled it all over the place. Now the pip is on top. The baby is cherping away, and rocking but still hasnt made any progress in over 8 hours. The temp is at 99.7 and humidity is at 67 currently. When do I help?

Short answer is don't. I agree with Kirk.

Longer answer:
If it is valuable, rare or desired, your call on when to help. I have helped late hatchers that appeared to be shrink wrapped because I was taking the early hatchers out of the incubator. Success will be mixed, so determine how much help, care and nurturing you are willing to invest before you take action. Be prepared to cull. Do try to determine why they are not able to hatch on their own. Fix this if it is an issue with the system.

I do wait 48 hours after the first hatch. The visible membrane will appear white and rubbery in a shrink wrap. Then I will only pull the cap off and give it 12 hours to get out on it's own.

This is a learning experience and I always encourage people to learn.

Short answer is don't. I agree with Kirk.

Longer answer:
If it is valuable, rare or desired, your call on when to help. I have helped late hatchers that appeared to be shrink wrapped because I was taking the early hatchers out of the incubator. Success will be mixed, so determine how much help, care and nurturing you are willing to invest before you take action. Be prepared to cull. Do try to determine why they are not able to hatch on their own. Fix this if it is an issue with the system.

I do wait 48 hours after the first hatch. The visible membrane will appear white and rubbery in a shrink wrap. Then I will only pull the cap off and give it 12 hours to get out on it's own.

This is a learning experience and I always encourage people to learn.

Thank you

Well she kept fighting and I helped her/him out a bit. It looked like her feet were not positioned right. I peeled most of it and let her kick out of the shell in her own. He/she is cherping away and moving all over in the incubator. So far so good. Now I have 2 more peeping. Hope the rest goes well.

Well she kept fighting and I helped her/him out a bit. It looked like her feet were not positioned right. I peeled most of it and let her kick out of the shell in her own. He/she is cherping away and moving all over in the incubator. So far so good. Now I have 2 more peeping. Hope the rest goes well.
be patient on the feet. The ones that I helped mostly straightened after a day.

Back
Top Bottom