how do I know which hen is laying the eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thegibbys, Aug 5, 2011.

1. thegibbys

thegibbys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    We have 2 18 week old, one is a rooster. We have 22 14 week olds. so, do I assume it is only the 18 weeker? how early is the earliest to see an egg? can I feel the belly of the egg layer?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    14 weeks is pretty young. Even 18 weeks is at the young end of "average", so my guess would be its the older pullet.

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    My guess would be the 18 week old. If you want to know for sure, then you can put some food coloring on her vent. It will wear off on the egg and you will know if she is laying or not. Some of my girls started laying at 18-19 weeks. I highly doubt it is your 14 week olds laying.

4. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    Is the food coloring on the vent the only way to tell which one is laying?? I have been wondering this same thing b/c everybody talks about the egg that "such and such hen" lays but the only way I could figure out to know for sure which hen is laying is by having each penned separately which seems unrealistic. I ask if this is the only way b/c I have marans pullets which should be laying soon and am unsure if the food coloring would show up on their dark eggs??? Also, do you just squirt it on and go?? How long does one application last??

5. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    ps my pullets (wheaten marans) are 18 weeks old today and not laying but I really didn't think I should expect anything for another couple months. (I though 25-26 weeks.) Is it usually earlier (hopeful look) or does that sound about right?? I know it is slightly different for each breed.

Thanks! [​IMG] (Hopes are now up! [​IMG] )

6. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    If you have the time, try to pin down when the egg (s) are laid. Then just watch. My DH was installing a sturdier screen in the end of the henhouse today, and had to keep it closed off from the chickens for a while. Gertie had a fit because it was time for her to lay her (Teeny-tiny) egg. She was pacing, whining, visibly upset. When I finally opened the door of the coop she RAN to the nest box. Relief! You can get a good idea which ones are laying and which ones are soon to lay, just by watching them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by