How do i know?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silkielover1731, Apr 4, 2012.

1. silkielover1731

silkielover1731 Chillin' With My Peeps

hello!,
    i have a silkie and i am very sure its a hen. i hatched her last year and the only one to hatch. she was hatched in mid june. i would really like to know if she is laying eggs. i have 2 other silkies and one hen is older and than we have a mid age rooster. all three are white and purebred. so my question is how do i know if the youngest is laying? i have been seeing about 2-3 eggs a day from the silkies and i dont know if its just the the older one laying that much or if the younger hen is takeing part in the egg laying?
    thanks a lot!,
    Silkielover1731

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

If you want to know, put food colouring on the younger hens vent in the morning. The egg will have streaks of colour on the egg. I have not tried this. I usually find out by checking every hour on the weekends to see who is nesting.

3. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

You could put a drop of food coloring in her vent, when the egg comes out it will marked with that color.

4. silkielover1731

my neighbor has tried this before and said it did not work... any other ideas?

5. tyjaco

tyjaco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Cloverdale, CA
    maybe it didn't work cuz the hen wasn't laying HA!

(so if that's the case - it DID work)..

(LOL just kidding)

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

A coop cam?

7. silkielover1731

there is no electirc out there yet intill hopefully this summer when we finally build the horses dream barn...........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by