How do I know....

TexasMomof5

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 29, 2012
if my eggs are viable? Over the weekend our turkery hatched several guinea keets, chicks and ducks. I was only able to save 4 ducklings and 2 chicks, my male guinea killed the rest before i knew they had hatched. :(

She still had a nest of eggs so I quickly gathered them thinking we would try to finish the hatch to keep them from being killed as well.

As we put them in the incubator, we candled each of them, and as I suspected they are at different stages of development. The turkey is an egg clepto!

I candled them again today and there have been changes in some, but not in others. How do I know if those are viable or not. I scared I'm going to have rotten egg bombs going off in my house!!!!

How far are they if u have any pics of the ones u are not sure of, and if u roughly know the date u put them in i should be able to help u :)

I will candle them tonight when I get home and take pics. We moved them in from the nest on April 26th.

Ok thanks, do u know when u put the eggs under the turkey :)or like roughly how many weeks or so it was before u moved them :)

We didn't put them under her, she stole them from the other hens! Lol. Noticed her sitting about two weeks ago, moved the rest in 7 days ago.

well then the chicks should hatch anytime now, so if u candle them u might be able to see an internal pip, the ducks, should hatch in about a weeks time, and if u candle them it should take up almost all of the egg, but i have never hatched guineas but they take 28 days i think, so they should be the same as ducks :)

Back
Top Bottom