How do I let my 20 week old Chicks in with a older Hen and Rooster

MommaHen77

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
USA
I have 3 Barred rocks they are 20 weeks and I have 5 Black Langshan that are 20 Weeks too . I would like to know if I be safe to put them in with A OLDER HEN AND ROOSTER?

It might work, though it will be a little safer when they are all around the same size. You really never know. It also helps a lot if they live side by side but separated by a fence they can see through for a couple of weeks or more.

If you can put them together in a large area, maybe a back yard with hiding places, and supervise, you can get an idea how it will go. There will be pecking as they establish their new pecking order, but if no blood is drawn, you can let them work it out.

Thi s thread has a lot of people's experiences with this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/803815/integrating-two-groups/0_20

I have just put 12 - 8 week olds in with about 16 - 20 week olds. I put them in the big coop at night when the others couldn't see what was happening. They have gotten along for the last week or so. So last night I added another group of 5 that just turned 8 weeks and today they seemed fine also. I have read that adding them to the flock at night kinda tricks the older ones into thinking the new ones had already been there for a while, cause they wake up and they are there first thing in the morning. Maybe it's not as stressful. I had done this same thing when I added the ones that are 20 weeks now to the 3 older ones I had at the time. Some pecking but, really, not what I expected.

Back
Top Bottom