How do I make a coop when the odds are NOT in my favor?

dahlinminers

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 1, 2014
Yosemite, California
My parents have been really getting on my case for making a coop for my chickens (I'm a high school student), but they aren't giving me the means to actually make one. I've been asking them for wood, wire, etc. since before we got our new additions to our flock (in June/July last year), but they won't even consider it. I live kind of in the middle of nowhere, with a LOT of predators (wild dogs, raccoons, mountain lions, etc.) and it's difficult to keep my ten chickens in a temporary coop (we lost maybe five since we got the new ones). How am I supposed to make a new coop when I'm not being given any guidance or material that is needed to make one? (I can't get a job, since I'm not fifteen yet, so paying for the materials myself isn't really a possibility.)

We made a coop once using old pallets that were free from one of our local construction company. We pulled the pallets apart and used the boards to make the coop all we needed was a hammer and some nails. We used whole pallets for the frame and used the boards to fill in the holes.

Hopefully this helps
Alyssa

Why was a plan for housing not put in place before the chickens [or additional chickens] were procured? My gut reaction is you should rehome the chickens to a home with the means to support them. I don't mean to be rude as I understand you are young, but if you can not financially afford to keep chickens then you should do the right thing and rehome them to someone who can.

If you can't afford to build a coop, how do you afford food, or bedding to keep a sanitary coop?

It is unfortunate that your parents are not lending more financial support and guidance but soon you can get a job (hopefully) and then you'll be in a better place to keep chickens.

There are ways to get building materials to make a very inexpensive coop (pallets, scrap lumber from construction sites, shipping crates, etc.) but if you aren't old enough to drive even finding and transporting these things will probably be difficult.

I admire that you have a passion at such a young age but it seems you are facing a grim reality that you don't have many viable options until you are a little older and have a bit more financial independence.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Quote: We've had chickens since as long as I can remember, but we recently got a few bantams that my parents don't want to put with the regular flock. It wasn't my decision to get the bantams, but the task of making a new coop has been given to me. I would love to rehome the bantams, but we live in a small community that pretty much only raises dual purpose chickens. They don't like the idea of tiny chickens making tiny eggs that don't give a lot of meat. I'm also getting a job this summer when I'm legally old enough to work.

Last edited:
Is there any materials laying about that are not being used? Old lumber, tin, or the such?
Perhaps at your school there is a woodworking class? If so I would ask the teacher if there is some extra lumber you can have.
Since they are bantams I am thinking a small pallet coop may work.
How many are there? Do you still have ten?

Poo if I was closer to you I would give you my grow out coop.

I do not understand why the task is falling to you since you were not the one wanting to get them.
hu.gif

My mother got me a ton of chickens and expected me to get cracking with the coop when they hit a few weeks, back in March. They have been entirely my responsibility- fencing, building, feeding,doctoring, etc. I was fifteen. Lucky for me our yard is like a junk yard with all different kinds of materials and supplies. I learned how to half-arse build by myself. I have lost quite a few, but I have learned a lot. I am so glad she dumped them on me.

Back
Top Bottom