How do I make a Coopers Hawk move on?

Sfraker

Songster
5 Years
Feb 17, 2014
Western NC
Hello, do you have any suggestions for managing a coopers hawk problem I am having?

I have a flock of ducks that I raise to sell eggs. They generally free range on a 1 acre pasture during the day that has plenty of cover brush and trees along with some open areas of forage. The hawk killed one duck and enjoyed it's meal. We put the ducks into lock down for two weeks. Two days after we let them back onto their pasture it attempted another attack but we scared it off with only minor injury to a duck. Luckily the ducks were smart enough to hang out in the brush/trees so it didn't have a good straight line to dive at it. I now have my ducks locked up in a 300 square foot pen that is chain link on the sides and top. They can no longer forage for food so they are costing me a lot more in feed and in bedding. Also, they are not able to get to their big pond and have to have little kiddie pools. They are not happy and are letting me know quite loudly anytime we go outside. :) A

Any thoughts as to how to help the hawk move along? Previously we had a pair of Red Shoulder hawks that chased this one away anytime it came near. However the red shoulders did not nest in their usual spot this year.

Thanks!

It is illegal to shoot any raptor. You could try to contact your local wildlife officer and see if they will declare them a nuisance and trap and relocate them, but it is not likely.

An acre is a lot to cover, but you could try stringing some of the bird flash scare tape between the trees and bushes. They don't like the flashes of light and would have a harder time maneuvering in for the kill. Don't string it too tight so that it can twist and move with the wind.

I thought you could shoot it if it is costing you livestock???
However, I don't have a gun so that may be an issue on it's own. I assume they are pricey and I would have to get approved to buy? I know nothing about guns.
idunno.gif

I thought of trying to attracted some crows to move into my yard. I've heard they are good at keeping hawks away.
The second attempt at getting a duck was through trees and brush! I thought they ducks would be ok under the bushes in the edge of the woods. The hawk crashed right through some small leaves/branches to get at the duck. Luckily I think that is what caused it to missed and just graze her.

The stupid thing is going after my females. AUGH!!!

Do not shoot the hawks, they are federally protected. In some cases you can get a permit to have them removed.
I usually lock mine up until the hawk moves along. A few weeks usually does the trick. To help convince them, I take two empty plastic milk jugs with me to the coop and I bang them together (they make quite a bit of noise). It also helps to encourage crows to nest around your property. They're very territorial and don't tolerate the hawks. They can be a nuisance as well though. I've heard of them stealing feed, eggs and chicks. I scatter some corn cobs out in the woods well away from my coop for the crows (and anything else that likes corn). I see them flying around all the time, occasionally chasing off a hawk and they don't bother my chickens.
Good luck.

I thought you could shoot it if it is costing you livestock???
However, I don't have a gun so that may be an issue on it's own. I assume they are pricey and I would have to get approved to buy? I know nothing about guns.
idunno.gif

I thought of trying to attracted some crows to move into my yard. I've heard they are good at keeping hawks away.
The second attempt at getting a duck was through trees and brush! I thought they ducks would be ok under the bushes in the edge of the woods. The hawk crashed right through some small leaves/branches to get at the duck. Luckily I think that is what caused it to missed and just graze her.

The stupid thing is going after my females. AUGH!!!
You can not shoot or remove them without a permit and it is not something for an amateur to attempt anyway.

I have heard that some people attract crows by erecting a tall stand on which they place some food and some shiny objects. Crows love to collect shiny objects. Apparently, some them will even reciprocate by returning with some of their own shiny findings to put on the stand as a trade. I have never tried it myself.

Crows are a great thing to have come around so long as they are not taking eggs or chicks. The ones hanging around here chase the daylights out of the hawks.
If you do shoot a predator (not limited to hawks) you will have to keep doing this since for every one you remove another is waiting to take its place.

Have you thought of a hoop coop for them to forage under? They are movable so the ground would not get destroyed to badly so long as it is moved and provide protection from above.

They can adjust to being in a run. Yes it costs more if they are confined then if they are foraging but can be done.

If it is a Coopers Hawk, then try a Turkey. A Coopers will go after small prey stirred up by Turkeys, deer and even Humans but hawk will not grapple with a larger item in close proximity to the flusher.

Back
Top Bottom