how do I make a window sash?

catmage

Chirping
Mar 19, 2017
east TN/USA
I found a large sheet of thick glass under my house, I thought it would make a good window for the coop we are building.

It is about 1ft x 3ft, approx 1cm thick. How would I go about making a sash for this glass pane? I do not have a table saw or a circular saw. I have basic shop skills (I took a few classes in college). Thank you

That's a heck of a hunk of glass!
1cm = about 3/8...is it really that thick?
How do you intend the window to be used,
as a static 'light' or an operable window?

Yes, it is almost that thick. I don't have exact measurements as it is under the house. We just moved and the previous owners left a lot of items good for repurposing behind. I'm still pulling out planks of wood and there are other building materials under the garage out building I've not even seen fully yet...

Anyway, I think it would be better for the window to be stationary just because it is so big. I will have other smaller windows on the coop that will swing open for light & ventilation (also found on the property).

If this is what you had in mind, it is the simplest way I've seen to date......

Part 1 is the window frame.......part 2 is the sash.

Depending on how big your coop is going to be, that big of a window that doesn't open in your climate might not be a great idea. Might be good for solar gain in the winter, but you're going to need beau-coup ventilation in summer.

But, very roughly, this would be a cross section in a wall to mount a pane of glass.
upload_2018-3-9_18-15-18.png

If you do decide to make it static, you can put a cover on the OUTSIDE in the summer to reduce the solar gain. Co workers used to laugh at me because I put the silver sunshades on the outside of my car, instead of the inside. Of course, my car was always the one we went to for breaks as it was cooler lol.

thank you all for your replies : ) The diagram is very helpful! I was thinking something similar but I did not know if it would work. I will consider making the window functional, as I do not want to overheat the coop! Thanks all!

I will consider making the window functional, as I do not want to overheat the coop!
I would save that glass for another project,
IMO it's much too heavy for an operable window,
especially in a coop.
Was going to try to calculate the weight, but my google is presently gagged.

Back
Top Bottom