How do I make canned Salsa?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by AussieSharon, Jun 29, 2008.

1. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Would someone please be kind enough to share their canned salsa recipe with me?

I bought some at a Farmers Market and my family devoured it in seconds. I'm growing tomatoes, peppers and onions and would love to make my own for family and friends.

2. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] Hi, I just saw this...I posted my recipe for salsa on my thread if your interested.
    Life from the Parsonage [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I love fresh salsa so when I can it I freeze it. I eyeball most of the ingredients and stop when it looks right.

I use cherry tomatoes and reg tomatoes. I chop the fresh tomantoes and halve or quarter the cherry ones.

I finely chop onions, garlic, chilis and jalapeno peppers.

I use a big bunch of cilatro.

I melt sea salt in the juice of 2 limes.

Put it all together and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours.

I put it in ziplock jars and freeze. When it thaws it is as good as fresh made.

Here is my recipe and photos from my recipe blog.

http://www.bigredcouch.com/journal/archives/2007/07/tomato_mania.html

4. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Thank you so much! I'm going to can some for family and friends for Christmas and do fresh/frozen for myself.

I have to laugh at myself for reading through all 25 pages of Life at the Parsonage to find the Salsa recipe on page 25!! [​IMG]

5. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    Quote:Love Miss Prissy's recipe, but was interested in yours as well, but where is your thread? I was thinking you meant a website or blog? Oh Duh do you mean you made a 'posting' of your recipe? I'll check.... Thanks tho [​IMG] LOVE salsa [​IMG]

6. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Quote:Our recipes are very similar. We make gallons of salsa from our garden each year but I've never frozen it. I was told that tomato's break down in the freezer. I would REALLY love to be able to freeze some. I guess I'm looking for reassurance that it does taste just as good frozen as it does fresh. If so...then yay!! that will be so nice to have because I can't stand cooked salsa either.

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I canned a tomatillo salsa last year and we LOVED LOVED LOVED it. IT was a lot like this one:
    http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_e/e-323.html

When I make it again this year I'll reduce the amount of salt. It was too salty.

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Using firm cherry tomatoes I have never had a problem with frozen salsa. I don't like it canned for the shelf. The tomatoes and onions cook in the canner and I do not like it.

I do all of mine raw. Leave it to sit in the fridge 1 day to marry the flavors then into freezer jars it goes. We eat it all winter and it is devine.

This year I have purple cherry tomatoes, yellows and reds to make it with. Yumm!

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Dont forget the cilantro. I just isnt the same without it.

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I agree! I have 2 huge bundles I washed and have it in jars of ice water now. Today is a salsa day at my house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by