1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do i make my bantams smaller?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tny_villegas, Aug 23, 2011.

1. tny_villegas

tny_villegas Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    San Bernardino, CA
    is there a way in breeding bantams so they can be smaller?

2. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Keep your breeder pullets from your wintertime hatch. They will be smaller if hatched in wintertime, and smaller hens lay smaller eggs.

3. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Keep breeding the smaller birds to the smaller birds, they'll make small eggs which makes small babies.

4. tny_villegas

tny_villegas Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    San Bernardino, CA
    Thank you very much. Thats very interesting.

5. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    feed them alum [​IMG]

6. Ra_

Ra_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    North Central Florida
  7. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:late fall (oct-erly Nov) hatched bantams tend to be smaller, they also tend to have better wing length, and tighter feather due to cool moist environment. they will lay a slightly smaller egg. Additionally only set the smaller eggs, try to cut to smaller birds by weight use an electronic scale and weigh them use only smallest birds, get fall hatches for yourself and test mate prior to pairing for fall matings. There are a few other tricks that work all will take a quite a few generations to set size.

8. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Try hatching from pullets, their eggs are generally smaller as well as hatching in the fall, its what has worked for me.

9. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    The size of the egg does not always effect the size of the full grown chickens, just the chick size. A tiny chick can grow just as large as a larger chick can.

The best way to get consistently smaller chickens is to breed the smaller breeding stock to each other.

The winter hatched hens can produce offspring that grows large, but selecting the smallest of the babies that hatch each generation will increase your chances of consistently smaller chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by