How do i make my chicks like me? haha

MikaRoo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
I have 1 6 day old and 7 3 day old chicks. they just run from me when i try to pick them up. when i catch them they are mostly still in my hand but they wont come over to me willingly.. can i give them treats? what can you give them that young?

crickets!!!!!!!! they like them and they will chase after each other for 1. its the greatest thing 2 race them.

Everyone is different. Personally, I don't push it. They are instinctively afraid of everything. That's OK. When they are feathered out and in their grow out pen, that is when the chicks and I socially bond, if you will. When they are 18 weeks and begin to squat? Believe me, they'll be incredibly social, almost to a fault. But, I assume you want a more pet relationship and I know little about that.

is it ok to give them lettuce and scraps already? well i want them to lay eggs for me but i do want to treat them like pets too. They dont need to be cuddly like my dogs but i would like them to know who their momma is!
lol.png

I buy treats from TSC for my babies, the treats are mealworms(dead&dried out) they will take them right out of my hand! They're 4 week old pullets but they've been given them since about 2 1/2 weeks!

-- but I'm with you, I hate that they're scared of me but I think it will change when they get older and out in the coop!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Trust me, the first loud noise they hear when you are with them in the coop, they will know who their mamma is!
wink.png
Honestly, feed them if you want, let them hear your voice, and when they are roaming around the coop, they will come sit on your lap, jump on your shoulder, etc. Aren't chickens great?
jumpy.gif

Mine run when I put my hand in but they eat out of my hand and when I pick them up I let them sit in my hand instead of holding them tight seems more comfortable to them and I hold them 1 to three times a day.

My chicks are now four weeks old. When I first got them they ran away from my hand and would not eat from my hand either. I was patient. Sometimes I would put my hand in the brooder and not touch any of the chicks to let them know they didn't need to be afraid. I would gently pet them and hold them lightly in my hands for short periods at a time. Eventually they began to learn I would not hurt them. Now if I even put my hand in to change the water all of them come runnning over, jump on top of my hand, then run up my sleeve to my shoulder. They all peep loudly when they here anyones voice hoping I will take them out. I wish you best of luck with your chicks!

thank you all for all of your advice. I was hoping it wasn't just me that my chickens were scared of. Lol I will be patient now.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom