How do I make my hen lay on her eggs?

Lobee

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
Mi
Well I have one last hen and the Roo got killed from my GSD Yesterday so unfortunately Its very sad sense this is my first brood of chickens that I raised. Now I have to work with what I have, which is trying to make my one hen broody so that way I have a chance with the fertile eggs that the Roo fertilized before he died last night. Please give me tips. She has never laid on her eggs so she is a newbie. O yeah how long are the eggs fertile after the last insemination, a week?

Well that stinks. I always took the eggs away asap so I never gave them a chance to nest. I let her keep her egg yesterday, she rolled it multiple times and stood there looking down then tried to lay on it for five minutes then she got up again rolled it again. She looks confused. She got up after that and that was that. I never had any luck incubating.... they always died on me so I figured I would try to have the hen do it this time.

Last edited:
About 2 weeks is right. I always use about 6 golfballs to smoke out a broody. When she sits on them for about 3 days, shes ready. Then I just give her some eggs.
big_smile.png

S. sussex can be broody so I am really hoping that she goes broody. Well sense I cant make her go broody, are there things I can do to help? Like leave the eggs where they lay or put them in a nest? After so many hours do I just pick up the eggs so that she doesnt crack them?

I always collect the eggs that are laid and bring them in the house and put them in a cool dark place. When she lays one I will put in 1 or 2 golfballs. When she sits tight, I switch to the real eggs. That way I don't have any eggs get cracked by the hen.

ok. I understand what your saying. She lays one egg a day so I can store the eggs in a dry cool place for 24 hours and they will still be ok? Should I wrap them up in anything?

Quote:
Alright well I think im understanding with your help. I only have one hen left so keeping her eggs away from her for a few days until she is broody worries me a little. Esp sense she lays one a day and now shes the only hen I can depend on....so I feel like im under a lot of pressure getting this right.

Back
Top Bottom