How do I make my noisy Golden Laced Polish shut up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChicksInSB, Feb 13, 2008.

1. ChicksInSB

ChicksInSB New Egg

Jan 5, 2008
    Hello,

We have 3 hens (1 bantam (quiet), 1 barred rock (quiet), 1 golden laced polish (super noisy)). Affie (the GLP) is driving us crazy; she remembers when we used to give them the run of the yard and is always looking up at the top of her fence trying to find a way out. They have a warm dry henhouse with a 5x5 foot coop area attached and then every morning we open up another side door on the henhouse which gives them access to about a 20x15 foot area.

She's already laying, which we thought would quiet her down; maybe it did a little but not enough.

Sometimes she just stands around and 'crows'. We live in a regular urban neighborhood and I don't want to bother my neighbors, if we lived in the country it wouldn't get to me so much.

Anyway, if any of you have figured out how to 'train' a chicken to be quiet I'd love to know your tactics (squirting with water? shock collars? [​IMG] )

Thanks a bunch....I'd hate to have to adopt her out.

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I think you'll either have to send her to freezer camp or adopt her out. I don't know of any methods to teach them to be quieter...

Sorry. Good luck !!

Julie [​IMG]

3. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    Some polish are just very vocal and there isn't anything you can do about it unless you tape her mouth shut and I don't recommend that!!! I would find her a good home if it bothers you.

Good luck to you!

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Muzzle her...LOL
    I had to do that with my crowing hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by