How do I make them like me?

Great advice! I wasn't sure whether to push them or let them come to me. I discovered the joy of bread and noodles in the past 2 days. Wow! What a show! The little BO was eating ration out of my hand, then laid down snuggly and seemed content, even away from the others. That was definately progress
smile.png
The older one (5 weeks now) enjoys sitting on my arm but still freaks out when I reach for her (her, I hope. 5 weeks should be getting close to being able to tell isn't it?)

Mine go CRAZY for spaghetti!!!! It is the MOST fun I've found so far to give them for treats. I hold it dangling down and they all jump for the strands.

Are you giving them chick-grit here and there? (Maybe you know this anyways, but just in case you don't - If you give them anything beside the regular chick feed, they need the grit to be able to grind up and digest the treats.)

You may be surprised how well you can do tempting them into your lap with just their regular chick feed in a little dish. They just THINK it's a special treat because it's not in the regular old boring feeder. At 5 weeks and younger you probably don't want to do TOO much treating so you're sure they're getting the nutrition they need from eating enough of their chick feed. (I do confess though that another thing I did when mine were just a few weeks old was I mixed corn meal and chick grit in a little bowl together and they LOVED picking at that in my lap. I had one with a pasty butt and the cornmeal was supposed to help that too.)

This is making me want to get more chicks!!!
big_smile.png

Would budgie 'gravel' be appropriate for grit?
I let them have a moment in the sunshine a couple of days ago. They ate some of the sand and small pebbles, but I don't have anything in their kiddie pool.

I've heard people say sand can work for chick grit and small pebbles definitely would. I wouldn't put sand in their kiddie pool for them to eat as much as they like. The idea of sand compacting in their crop would worry me slightly, but if it's a controlled amount, I'd think it'd be fine (I'm ever so slightly the control freak when it comes to this sort of thing!
wink.png
) Once they're older and scratching around outside they naturally pick up what they need.

PS - re. the small pebbles...they'd need to be tiny...about half the size of a pea I'd say....

Last edited:
Obelisk only likes to be held if she's not feeling well which is hardly ever. If you grab her, she'll act like you've got a bag of Shake and Bake with her name on it.
Penny's getting just like her...but she's still more friendly.
Slifer, big as she was, would sit on your lap until your circulation was cut off.
Jerry liked to be held and cuddled as did Tom. She'd sit on your shoulder and sing.

I recommend meal worms if you can handle holding them. I started feeding mine meal worms out of my hand when they were about 3 weeks old. I also never go into the coop without some kind of treat, even if it's just a handful of grass. I sit in the coop and they all come to me. Now that they've all started laying I do this thing I used to do with the parrots. I don't even know how to explain it other then rolling my tongue like spanish people roll their r's. My dh calls it cooing. Since all I have is hens I think they think that sound is a mating call from a rooster. Now when I go to pet them they all lay flat and stick their tails in the air. They have also started to "love" me back by preening my hair. They are all loves and very affectionate.
Good luck. Let me know if the cooing - rolling r's thing works for anyone else.
Thanks.

I used to do the R thing with my budgie, who loved it
smile.png
I don't seem to get any kind of response from the chicks, although the older bantam likes it.

I think I can handle meal worms, and I'm sure that would go over big! in the meantime maybe the occasional noodle will put me in their favour. Silly little chickens! It makes me feel like such an urbanite to know so little about them!!

I've decided that chickens are alot like cats - personality wise. They will act like they like you, use you for what they want, and then have nothing to do with you.

They all come running for treats like they love me, and will follow me all over the yard, but the minute I reach for one they act like I have an axe in my hands. However, if I just sit in my chair in their run, trying to have a cup of coffee, they jump all over my chair and I can pet them. Like I said - cats - demand attention on their own terms - refuse attention on your terms.

Back
Top Bottom