how do I mark my favorite hens so dh dosen't give them away

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2chickenrich, Nov 10, 2008.

1. 2chickenrich

2chickenrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    Perry, Georgia
    WE are going to give some hens to family and I want to keep the sweets ones, they are all sweet red stars, but some have to go we really didn't think they would all live . I guess we are better at this than we thought we would be. anyway , I don't want the marked ones to get pecked. So any ideas?[​IMG]

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Put some legbands on the ones you want to keep.

3. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    paint their toe nails with bright polish. My DD used to do that for fun- but it worked for other things. Good luck.

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    We use little zip ties for leg bands. We put them on very loose and keep an eye on them so they don't get too tight. They have been on for 3 months so far and none have slipped and tightened on the chickens.

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Either that, clip her flight feathers or separate her.

My birds would eat each others toes if I painted their toenails- lol. I thought of that too, but then my girls came to mind with my own painted toenails exposed in summer!

6. EliteTempleton

EliteTempleton Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    SW MI
    I found leg bands at the feed store for $0.10.

Here is a pic of one in use:

[​IMG]

7. happyheart

happyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    Has anyone ever used those little rubber bands that are colored for hair? I thought about that but didnt know if it would cut off the circulation on their legs. I really get tired of calling all my white rocks chicken nugget and there is clearly only one called that, she is the one that chases me on the tractor when I'm mowing. [​IMG] which by the way scared the crap out of me the first time she did that thinking she was coming after me., so I kept speeding up the tractor til I was flying definately didnt have straight lines that day!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  8. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by