How do I pick a rooster

michiganlarry

Songster
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Marine City, Michigan
My wellsummer chicks are 7 weeks old now. Out of the 9 that hatched I have 3 roosters. Two of them are a darker color and one is much lighter. I can see different personalities developing already. I only want to keep one of them. They are just starting to want to fight a little bit so that got me wondering. How should I pick? What should I look for in the "one"?

Depends what you want out of a rooster. If you want to be sure he will not attack you, you need to wait a while. Remember that the friendliest one now may be the one who feels he can dominate you when the hormones kick in. If you are looking for one to protect the flock from predators, you might choose a different one.

I don't know what age you will know for sure who will not attack people.

IMO, you pick the one you like the best. Then don't baby him, don't play with him, don't try to make him nice. Roosters don't understand friendship, they understand dominance. Feed, water and provide shelter for him and then ignore him. He needs to see you as the alpha roo from the very start. When you are around him he needs to take a few steps back, as he would a superior rooster.
Just my 2 cents.
smile.png

Last edited:
Good point gritsar. They will test you. Usually from behind, lol. When a new one is testing his stuff, I walk with a leaf rake. Be very scared of the leaf rake!

You almost have to wait until they are 17 weeks to decide. By then they should be crowing, doing the dance and you should be able to judge their looks, how they act, etc...

Back
Top Bottom