How do I position eggs after removing from auto egg turner?

crazypolishchic

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 31, 2012
Florida Panhandle
On the 18th day when I remove the eggs from the automatic egg turner, do I just lay the eggs on their side in the bottom of the incubator? Will this disorient the chicks since the eggs have been standing on end all this time & make it hard for them to hatch?

Last edited:
You can place them on their sides with the dip in the aircell facing upwards. I incubated some in cartons last hatch and removed laid them down for hatching, but some didn't make it. It looked like they didn't position correctly, so I'll be hatching in cartons this round to see if that helps.

I hatched in cartons last time and only 1 out of 18 made it but the eggs had been shipped to FL from CT in winter and it was the first time I had ever incubated. The lady I got the eggs from hatches in cartons but the way I had done mine it looked like it made things difficult for the chick to pip with all of that carton surrounding it. Maybe this time I will cut away more of the carton and try again. Should have babies on Sunday!

Thanks!

I just gently placed them on the floor of the incubator on their side. It appears they have rolled theselves into a position where they are comfortable. Mine are hatching right now on day 20 (2 out of six so far! 2 more pipped). I am a little worried that they are a day early, or a day and a half if you do the math. After the first two hatched, they ended up rolling the others all around anyway with their flopping.

Back
Top Bottom