How do I prevent hawks while free ranging?

Likewise. I do let them loose for a couple of hours a day though. I see crows chasing the hawks away now that I have been feeding them as well as songbirds.
A Hawk flew down and grabbed one of dads chickens right in front of us pecking at our feet. Neither of us saw anything before it grabbed her and flew off. If a single Hawk escapes the crows radar one can grab yours the same way as ours. People say a Hawk can't carry one and fly off but it flew out of sight with ours . I prefer chicken tractors or chicken tunnels so my chickens have some protection . Crows can help a lot because Hawk are a threat to their babies but a crow is no match against a hawk .Only in large groups.

You can forage them safely during the day in chicken tractors .Another option is connecting long tunnels made of rolled welded wire .Good luck!

Attachments

• WP_20210814_15_56_45_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210814_15_56_45_Pro.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 6
Define size of chicken carried off. I know weights of chickens that have been carried off as well as species and sex of hawk involved. Great care needs to be used to indicate size, age, and breed of chicken. Just saying chicken introduces a great deal of confusion.

Define size of chicken carried off. I know weights of chickens that have been carried off as well as species and sex of hawk involved. Great care needs to be used to indicate size, age, and breed of chicken. Just saying chicken introduces a great deal of confusion.
I don't know what kind of hawk it was sorry or how old his hen was. She was a white leghorn, that's all he raised.

One had the kestrel on its back and I had to rescue the kestrel from her, and another broody flew about 8 feet up in pursuit of a hawk
That’s awesome! I would’ve let her have at it. Only drawback is the tables could turn quickly and lose a good chicken. I lost one recently while my BCs were in the run without a top. Eventually the hawk will get brave enough and go for it. And like someone else said, she was on the far end away from all the others and she was brilliant white. Stood out quite nicely.

Back
Top Bottom