How do I prevent hawks while free ranging?

Chik_8

Chirping
Jan 1, 2022
My backyard is 2 acres and I would like to free range my chickens. Right now my chickens live in an enclosed run. They spend a lot of time in their coop and don’t seem mentally stimulated enough (digging and foraging). I’ve let them out before but once a hawk came and almost took my favorite chicken, I had to run and grab her while the hawk kept coming lower and lower. Thankfully the other chickens were in the coop already. Recently I’ve gotten roosters but could I fully trust them to protect my hens? I’ve also heard about guard dogs and fences over top but that is not is not really an option for me right now so I’m not sure what to do. I’m not sure maybe I’m being too dramatic and overprotective and I should just let them out and see how it’s goes again. Hawks have been stalking ever since that day sometimes even multiple at a time. Any tips as to how I can solve the problem and if not how I can keep them more entertained in their run?

You are between a stone and a hard spot,,, when it comes to aerial predators. Hawks are of-course federally protected, so you cant do any harm to them. My only suggestion,,,, If you are outdoors,, you can watch them stay safe. You can try to ward away the hawk, but you cant hurt the hawk. Meaning you can yell at hawk but not much more. Then chase your chickens into protected run.
Some peeps keep roosters as protectors. Problem is,, rooster can only do so much,,,,, and hawks are not stupid. They will single out their prey that is furthest from rooster.
LGD (dogs) may work with protecting flock,, but it is a lengthy task to train and upkeep a dog for that purpose.

An option that is not overly costly,,, would be to make a larger additional run, that would have bird netting on top. Bird netting is not overly expensive. The sides could be light duty garden fencing,,, as long as there were no other potential daytime ground predators to be of concern. Coyotes, bobcats, fox, stray dogs, ETC.

Second option would be a movable tractor. This would have your chickens in new growth areas as you move the tractor. If you could locate a retired trampoline frame, it would convert to a great large tractor. Below is what I have. Once the jumping portion gets well weathered and starts to break,,, peeps usually get rid of these units. Often times can be purchased for little $$$ if already well used. (or free) The frame makes ideal tractor. with a little modification.
1641113861014.png

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

I second what @cavemanrich said, and I too use an old trampoline for the chickens, though I don't net it - it's just cover in the middle of the largest lawn area here (there are lots of deep shrubby borders and hedges where the chickens hang out most of the time).

I have lost a couple of youngsters to goshawk, red tailed kite, and a kestrel tried for a chick, but in general the roos do a good job of looking out, the hens and chicks scatter well, and broodies will fight back with a vengeance in defence of their chicks. One had the kestrel on its back and I had to rescue the kestrel from her, and another broody flew about 8 feet up in pursuit of a hawk. And of course I keep a wary eye and stand in a prominent place if I see or hear one in the vicinity.

It's sad to lose any, but the flock much prefer to take the risk free ranging than stay in safe confinement, so as they prefer it, I have learned to live with it.

I scream at and threaten the hawks. I put my arms in the air. I take metal can lids and bang them. Neighbors must think I'm crazy but it gets the hawks away so I can put my birds away. There is an alarm sound the head chicken or rooster will make if they see danger. I can make that sound and they go back in the coop. I have open field and two areas of trees they will hide under. They know the hawks now and usually hang out under the trees or near them. If they cross the field they will run!! If I see the squirrels out and the blue jays and crows make noise it's safe from hawk time. Sunny quiet days are usually hawk time. Cloudy windy days not so much. Be observant...keep an eye out, look for patterns. Have your birds trained to run in the coop, it's not hard, use treats but one time there was sudden danger they listened to me without treats. They see you look up. You make the alarm call. It works.

:welcome :frow I agree that Free Ranging and Hawks as well as other predators such as fox means accepting the risk of predation. I have nice large covered pens for my birds and there are ways to entertain the birds even in pens. I got tired of loosing birds to predators. Many lessons learned the hard way. This is what one BYC member did to protect her birds. Good luck...
TubeManBYC.jpg

Free Ranging and Hawks means accepting the risk of predation. My birds have the run of approx 5 acres. While I have had aerial losses, they have been few over the last two years. In the main, my birds are too big for my hawks - and my flock has developed a situation awareness of the skies overhead.

But there are losses. No practical way to cover acres, and no legal way to deal with hawks who think your littlest chickens look a fine meal.

Hawks likely in your area for something else. What might that be?
I live in the middle of acres of forest while around my house is flat land and open. It’s pretty common to see hawk prey like rabbits, mice, snakes, squirrels, chipmunks, and small birds. It’s a feeding frenzy and unfortunately my chickens make it to that list. Hawks have barley any predators and are federally protected so they’re pretty abundant by me.

Chickens will hide if hawks are over head. Adding bushes or other things for chickens to quickly get under can help them protect themselves.

SUCCESSFUL chickens will hide if hawks are overhead.

FIFY.

Part of why I am "allowing" natural predation in my efforts to build a landrace suitable for free ranging in my area. If the bird doesn't have "its head on a swivel" and look up at the sky on occasion, its behavior of no value to me as an improvement over the hatchery standard.

Back
Top Bottom