How do I prevent hawks while free ranging?

I hate the idea of having to kill anything so I keep my chickens up.
I hate the idea of keeping anything imprisoned, and thus let my creatures, cat, dogs, chickens, ducks, rabbits, and soon, bunnies *risk* life. No Guarantees.

Different Strokes, Different Folks.

I suppose the electric fencing around the 5 acres I've set aside for them could be called a prison of sorts, but as they can easily defeat it (the birds often do) yet voluntarily remain, the cage is at least a gilded one.

My backyard is 2 acres and I would like to free range my chickens. Right now my chickens live in an enclosed run. They spend a lot of time in their coop and don’t seem mentally stimulated enough (digging and foraging). I’ve let them out before but once a hawk came and almost took my favorite chicken, I had to run and grab her while the hawk kept coming lower and lower. Thankfully the other chickens were in the coop already. Recently I’ve gotten roosters but could I fully trust them to protect my hens? I’ve also heard about guard dogs and fences over top but that is not is not really an option for me right now so I’m not sure what to do. I’m not sure maybe I’m being too dramatic and overprotective and I should just let them out and see how it’s goes again. Hawks have been stalking ever since that day sometimes even multiple at a time. Any tips as to how I can solve the problem and if not how I can keep them more entertained in their run?
I have aviary netting covering my runs. They measure about 50 ft square. I lost two hens to hawks before the netting. Watch out for Fishers! One got in my coop and killed 6 hens. How do I protect against them?

Likewise. I do let them loose for a couple of hours a day though. I see crows chasing the hawks away now that I have been feeding them as well as songbirds.
A Hawk flew down and grabbed one of dads chickens right in front of us pecking at our feet. Neither of us saw anything before it grabbed her and flew off. If a single Hawk escapes the crows radar one can grab yours the same way as ours. People say a Hawk can't carry one and fly off but it flew out of sight with ours . I prefer chicken tractors or chicken tunnels so my chickens have some protection . Crows can help a lot because Hawk are a threat to their babies but a crow is no match against a hawk .Only in large groups.

One had the kestrel on its back and I had to rescue the kestrel from her, and another broody flew about 8 feet up in pursuit of a hawk
That’s awesome! I would’ve let her have at it. Only drawback is the tables could turn quickly and lose a good chicken. I lost one recently while my BCs were in the run without a top. Eventually the hawk will get brave enough and go for it. And like someone else said, she was on the far end away from all the others and she was brilliant white. Stood out quite nicely.

Chickens will hide if hawks are over head. Adding bushes or other things for chickens to quickly get under can help them protect themselves.
Would you have any idea's of bushes that would easily survive in clay soil? I live in the UK :)

Would love to free range my chickens (mostly bantams) but far too many hawks in Southside VA. They are as plentiful as sparrows in this area. But when I started raising chickens in the late 1960's in western NC, I hardly ever saw any birds of prey (most likely due to the widespread use of DDT) so it is nice that their populations have rebounded. Every creature serves a purpose although I find it hard to see what good a coyote does.

I totally agree.
Chickens originally lived in the woods for millions of years. They are and always will be a prey animal.
They know that. It's instinct. Breeding the survivors will never change that.
Plus it's super cruel and should be reported.

I hate the idea of keeping anything imprisoned, and thus let my creatures, cat, dogs, chickens, ducks, rabbits, and soon, bunnies *risk* life. No Guarantees.

Different Strokes, Different Folks.

I suppose the electric fencing around the 5 acres I've set aside for them could be called a prison of sorts, but as they can easily defeat it (the birds often do) yet voluntarily remain, the cage is at least a gilded one.
I hope you don't mind feeding the wildlife. Personally, I want my birds to live.

Back
Top Bottom