How do I prevent hawks while free ranging?

Ah, the ethics of a jailor. I'll have to remember that, next time I'm in the mood to judge one of your posts.

Personal attacks aside, you are more than welcome to report me to the relevant authorities. I'm quite confident my animal keeping facilities will be judged superior to most - if, admittedly, more practical than attractive.

The three birds I've lost to predation (as opposed to my knife) were disappointments, yes. I'd have preferred them for my table.

🍗🍽️🍗
You don't have to get all snotty about it!
I guess you don't feel like most of us do. I'll eat a rooster now but I don't buy any. I accidentally got two that were supposed to be pullets. They were attacking me and my hens so they became dinner.
I let my hens live as long as possible.
I have lost a few and now I keep them happy in their pen until I let them out about 1 to 2 hours before dusk. So far, so good.

I have aviary netting covering my runs. They measure about 50 ft square. I lost two hens to hawks before the netting. Watch out for Fishers! One got in my coop and killed 6 hens. How do I protect against them?
Fishers, weasels, mink, and predators from that category are very difficult to protect from. A well built coop with no openings,,(even small gaps) is only solution for night-time safety. Daytime,,,,,,, it is a very difficult thing to deal with. Inquire with the Wildlife Agency in your area,, and ask for options to trap them.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

You can forage them safely during the day in chicken tractors .Another option is connecting long tunnels made of rolled welded wire .Good luck!

Attachments

• WP_20210814_15_56_45_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210814_15_56_45_Pro.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 6
Define size of chicken carried off. I know weights of chickens that have been carried off as well as species and sex of hawk involved. Great care needs to be used to indicate size, age, and breed of chicken. Just saying chicken introduces a great deal of confusion.
I don't know what kind of hawk it was sorry or how old his hen was. She was a white leghorn, that's all he raised.

Back
Top Bottom