How do I prevent hawks while free ranging?

I totally agree.
Chickens originally lived in the woods for millions of years. They are and always will be a prey animal.
They know that. It's instinct. Breeding the survivors will never change that.
Plus it's super cruel and should be reported.

I hate the idea of keeping anything imprisoned, and thus let my creatures, cat, dogs, chickens, ducks, rabbits, and soon, bunnies *risk* life. No Guarantees.

Different Strokes, Different Folks.

I suppose the electric fencing around the 5 acres I've set aside for them could be called a prison of sorts, but as they can easily defeat it (the birds often do) yet voluntarily remain, the cage is at least a gilded one.
I hope you don't mind feeding the wildlife. Personally, I want my birds to live.

I hope you don't mind feeding the wildlife. Personally, I want my birds to live.

Ah, the ethics of a jailor. I'll have to remember that, next time I'm in the mood to judge one of your posts.

Personal attacks aside, you are more than welcome to report me to the relevant authorities. I'm quite confident my animal keeping facilities will be judged superior to most - if, admittedly, more practical than attractive.

The three birds I've lost to predation (as opposed to my knife) were disappointments, yes. I'd have preferred them for my table.

🍗🍽️🍗

Ah, the ethics of a jailor. I'll have to remember that, next time I'm in the mood to judge one of your posts.

Personal attacks aside, you are more than welcome to report me to the relevant authorities. I'm quite confident my animal keeping facilities will be judged superior to most - if, admittedly, more practical than attractive.

The three birds I've lost to predation (as opposed to my knife) were disappointments, yes. I'd have preferred them for my table.

🍗🍽️🍗
You don't have to get all snotty about it!
I guess you don't feel like most of us do. I'll eat a rooster now but I don't buy any. I accidentally got two that were supposed to be pullets. They were attacking me and my hens so they became dinner.
I let my hens live as long as possible.
I have lost a few and now I keep them happy in their pen until I let them out about 1 to 2 hours before dusk. So far, so good.

My backyard is 2 acres and I would like to free range my chickens. Right now my chickens live in an enclosed run. They spend a lot of time in their coop and don’t seem mentally stimulated enough (digging and foraging). I’ve let them out before but once a hawk came and almost took my favorite chicken, I had to run and grab her while the hawk kept coming lower and lower. Thankfully the other chickens were in the coop already. Recently I’ve gotten roosters but could I fully trust them to protect my hens? I’ve also heard about guard dogs and fences over top but that is not is not really an option for me right now so I’m not sure what to do. I’m not sure maybe I’m being too dramatic and overprotective and I should just let them out and see how it’s goes again. Hawks have been stalking ever since that day sometimes even multiple at a time. Any tips as to how I can solve the problem and if not how I can keep them more entertained in their run?
I have aviary netting covering my runs. They measure about 50 ft square. I lost two hens to hawks before the netting. Watch out for Fishers! One got in my coop and killed 6 hens. How do I protect against them?

I have aviary netting covering my runs. They measure about 50 ft square. I lost two hens to hawks before the netting. Watch out for Fishers! One got in my coop and killed 6 hens. How do I protect against them?
Fishers, weasels, mink, and predators from that category are very difficult to protect from. A well built coop with no openings,,(even small gaps) is only solution for night-time safety. Daytime,,,,,,, it is a very difficult thing to deal with. Inquire with the Wildlife Agency in your area,, and ask for options to trap them.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Back
Top Bottom