1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do i price my chicks and eggs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jazzy6110, Dec 17, 2011.

1. jazzy6110

jazzy6110 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2011
    Just wanted to how to price my golden cuckoo maran chicks and also how much should i charge for 1 doz eggs for eating. thank you

2. LadiesMan017

LadiesMan017 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    Golden Cuckoo Marans are pretty rare aren't they? I would say atleast $6 for the chicks. And the eating eggs, about $3 a dz.

3. ChickenEggspress34

ChickenEggspress34 New Egg

Dec 10, 2011
    $3 a dz i would say is pretty standard. We usually give one free dz to a new customer to get them "hooked" then sell for $3 a dz. When the girls first started laying and were smaller eggs we sold them for $2 a dz. Hope this helps...

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I think it depends on what eggs go for in your area. Here it is between $3-5/ doz.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    If they are Hatchery stock chicks from Hatchery parents, I wouldn't charge more than $1.50 or less per chick, they just aren't worth more than that. The egg's however you can probably do much better on, just check around and see what you can charge.

6. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    depending on what you feed your birds, I am able to charge $4 a dozen and have a waiting list....... Lots of greens, chickweed etc all helps add a more golden color to the egg and a greater demand......

7. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I charge $5 a dozen and can't keep my fridge stocked. All of my friends are willing to pay that because they say my eggs are "the best" and they can't get them like that in the store. Plus, they know I love my hens, so they asre willing to support me and my girls.

I just sold 4 pullets for $40. They were about 2.5 months old. Folks around here will pay $20 for a ready to lay pullet and anywhere from $5 to $10 for chicks, even hatchery stock.

8. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:I got my friends "hooked" with a free half dozen. Now I charge $3 for 6 and $5 for a dozen. Sounds a bit like drug dealing, but when the product is good, the people will get hooked.

9. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    It really depends on the market in your area. I was selling eggs at $3 a dozen and not really making any profit at that price. Some people (especially older ones) would complain about them being too expensive, and tell me that eggs should not cost more than a dollar a dozen (I wonder how long it's been since they bought eggs at a grocery store, even the cheapest ones there are around $2...) but I would always sell out by the end of the day anyway. I don't think I would have done well at a higher price, but I have heard that in Phoenix, just a few hours away, people are happily paying $8 a dozen for homegrown eggs! I start chicks out at $2 apiece for straight run, $1 for roosters, and $3 for pullets, and raise the price slightly each week I have to feed them. I would sell point of lay pullets for $10, more if they were super good quality. Started roosters $5-10 depending on quality and breed. I also like to do discounts on birds for 4H kids or large purchases. The local feed store sells hatchery chicks for $6.99 apiece, straight run, so I am underselling them by a lot. I'm hoping to get to where I can hatch year round and have chicks available in spring for less than feed store birds, and LOTS of chicks and started birds for the county fair, I think I could sell as many as I showed up with. Most buyers in my market don't care so much about breed and would pay the same price for a purebred as a "barnyard special" so long as it will lay. There's not so much interest in anything fancy other than Easter Eggers, I would probably not be able to get a premium price for Marans.

10. jazzy6110

jazzy6110 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2011
    thanx guys...that really helps alot...hatched some golden cuckoo marans and a buff orpington as a christmas gift for my wife...we have 6 marans (3 pullets, 3 cockerels) and 1 buff orpington pullet...she loves them dearly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by