How do i re-train a rooster/male chicken to follow me and not run away?

Mayoo

Hatching
Oct 29, 2022
Hi, i'm new here, but i've had chickens for a long time. I have a young rooster, who has always been really cute and friendly. He always followed me when he saw me, and was incredibly easy to catch, as he didn't run away. Recently however, he has grown up quite a bit (he's still very small though), and will always run off when i approach him to get him into his little "home" (i have no idea of the names in english, sorry). Is there any "tips and tricks" to make him friendly and docile again? I've been worried that he might have had some traumatic experiences with my cousins maybe, or with some predator. No idea. Thats why i'm asking :p

Thanks in advance!

Hello Mayoo.
Welcome to BYC.
What country do you live in? While not particulalry relevant to your question it helps people give advice if wanted on other issues.

I haven't kept any roosters but I have raised a few and I thought it was normal for them to get less friendly as they get older and more hormonal. How old is he? It seems he is still a juvenile from your post. That information will help someone with more experience answer your question

Sounds like he is simply maturing; he is juvenile. My advice is to acknowledge him without touching, meaning talk as you go about your business but let him do his job with the hens. Interact with the hens as usual, and treat him as a flock manager. walk slowly past him with purpose but don’t change course to walk around him..you walk through him as you do chicken chores and don’t try to make him a pet. Breed matters as some roosters are simply more aggressive than others.

As a chick my only male Bielefelder required a lot of handling for special care until he was 6 weeks. I weaned MYSELF off of treating him as a pet by 8 weeks old and handled him just for health care reasons. By 4-5 months he became aware of his rooster duties. At 8 months today he is still non-aggressive and is excellent at all things rooster. I do not pet him or try to catch him. Health inspections are done after dark while on the roost using a head lamp, and he is quite calm. Hens jump on my lap and he watches with interest but does not seem tense as I am not seen as a threat to his hens…I am the janitor.
Welcome to BYC. 😊

Back
Top Bottom