How do I reduce feed waste??? Help, please!

l'oeuf

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
Lakewood, CO
Hi,

I'm really having trouble reducing feed waste in my coop with my five lovely ladies (2 RIRs and 3 Red Stars). I had a plastic trough feeder (the kind with a double line of holes on top), but they didn't seem to like that, so I switched to a hanging feeder. However, the feed waste is even worse- it's all over the floor of the coop, and at this rate, they will be going thru a 50-lb bag in a matter of days! I think I have it at the right height for them, about 5 inches off the floor. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I'm really in a bind!

Thanks so much!

Mine eat out of deep clay dishes and I switched to pellets and not crumbles... so far nothing goes to waste, and a 50lb bag lasts for months. Crumbles were a mess and a half to clean.

I only allow my chickens scratch on the run floor or on the lawn in the winter when they need the corn for fats. Gives them something to scratch for.

Last edited:
I have some homemade wooden wall hung feeders for mine. I hung them as high off the floor as I could so they had to really stand on their tip toes to reach in. There is also a small lip that projects to the inside edge of the feeding trough, so the have a hard time flicking the feed out onto the floor.

I saw this guy's coop the other day and he had a rain gutter along the bottom of his coop that he filled with food and he said that he uses about 30% less food now than he did before. Kind of a neat idea.

I have a 6" pipe feeder (a metal chimney. vent thing and a chimney cap thing stuffed on bottom. This rig is in a 3 Foot plastic pan as in car oil change thing. They spill into the pan, and at times I refill from the pan. They have to climb into the pan to eat. 50 lbs lasts 3x longer now.

You might try not filling the feeder so full. I only put in what they will eat for 2 or 3 days at a time. It seemed that when it was full more would push it's way through and fall to the floor. Sometimes gravity can be a bummer:)

Back
Top Bottom