How do I refill the trough in HovaBator 1588?

I usually use french feeding tubes (like for puppies) since I have them, or a straw. plastic tube etc... can either make a hole its size in the side and position it so the end is in the channel and just leave it there, or put the tube through the main vent whenever you want to add water... either in the channels or on the sponge etc if you use them.

Unless the eggs are pipping, removing the lid just long enough to refill the water won't harm them. The humidity will drop for a minute but as soon as you close the lid it goes back up.

Ok so every 3 days or so, I refill Trough 1 until day 18. At that point, I take out the turner, gently lay eggs down on metal mesh, full troughs 1 & 2 and then don't open. Right?

How often you have to refill depends on the humidity in your area / room where they are being incubated... if the humidity is high you may not have to refill very often or even run it dry (in the spring when we get a lot of rain often the incubators will run at 50%+ with no added water)... in some cases if the eggs aren't losing enough weight/water you may even want to run a dehumidifier in the room.
After day 18, like you said, take out the turners, lay down the eggs, fill the channels (if the humidity has been low, you may want to add a sponge in a glass or something to help up it, also it is easy to add water to sponge) to get humidity up to 65% leave everything alone and hopefully just watch the eggs hatch!

Back
Top Bottom