How do I register my sheep in PA?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by xoxosheep, Nov 21, 2013.

  1. xoxosheep

    xoxosheep New Egg

    Nov 14, 2013
    How do I register my sheep in PA? I have a four year old Ewe and I am relocating her and feel that it is important that she is registered. She is up to date with all her vaccinations and worming treatments.
  2. aprille218

    aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    You can't register her unless both her parents were registered and you got the correct paperwork from her breeder.
  3. donrae

    donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

    Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Register with what?
  4. res

    res Chillin' With My Peeps

    Are you wanting to register her as a form of proof of ownership? If so, I wouldn't mess with it, even IF she is eligible. It's likely her appearance is the same as hundreds of other sheep, so how, if you were challenged for ownership, would you KNOW which one was yours?

    Since it is one sheep, I would talk to a vet about microchipping her. That is concrete proof of ownership, and you cannot be deceived by appearances. Of course, you will need a scanner, but those are widely available. In horses, the chip goes in the nuchal ligament so it cannot migrate, and it is a known area to scan.

    That and LOTS of photos from every imaginable angle, notate any sworls in her hair on her face/legs, etc.

    Ear tags are great, too, but they can be lost, and they can be replicated on another animal with her appearance.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Bunnylady

    Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

    Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  6. res

    res Chillin' With My Peeps

    Here is the "official" APHIS/USDA website/info as of this summer:

    Pretty intense reading, especially for an owner of a single sheep. To me, it sounds a lot like the EIA/Coggins program with horses, which never has had 100% compliance by horse owners. I see a lot of reg's in the Scrapie program applying to "producers" but I am not sure how they would apply to an owner of a single sheep...

    If I were "rehoming" my sheep to a place with other sheep, I think I would defer to however the new owners are handling the Scrapie issue. If they want her tested and reported, go for it. If not, don't sweat it.

    Either way, I would NOT use the Scrapie papers as proof of ownership. They are likely quite generic, like a health certificate, and will most likely require ID by ear tag. Ear tags are great, until they fall out or get torn out.

    I'd still want her microchipped to prove she is mine. It's not perfect in that it isn't visible from the outside, but it is concrete proof of ownership.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by