How do I safely quit leaving my lights on in my coop!!

bivensashley

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 4, 2011
Ok, so I feel like I have kinda messed up after doing some research but here is my situation. I have 2 coops that I leave the lights on 24/7. One coop has a red heat bulb and the other a white heat bulb. I figured I was helping them with the heat and keeping up egg production. Now Im reading not to leave them on all the time and if you turn them off you will throw them into molting and stop egg production, which could be terrible in the middle of winter. Does anyone know what I should do??? Please and thank you! Next year I am going to let them have the winter off and turn the lights off!!

I would put a small incandescent bulb, 60W or less, in each coop on a timer that turned on around 3 AM, or wshenever needed to make a 14 hour day, at least for the rest of this winter and spring. This way dark will fall naturally, hopefully encouraging natural sleep. You may find they are upset by the change and will be a bit noisy the first night or two, but they should become accustomed quickly. Since one is a heat lamp, I would wait for a relative warm spell for your area.

I would put a small incandescent bulb, 60W or less, in each coop on a timer that turned on around 3 AM, or wshenever needed to make a 14 hour day, at least for the rest of this winter and spring. This way dark will fall naturally, hopefully encouraging natural sleep. You may find they are upset by the change and will be a bit noisy the first night or two, but they should become accustomed quickly. Since one is a heat lamp, I would wait for a relative warm spell for your area.

goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom