How do I say goodbye?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WillsMama93, Jun 26, 2008.

1. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    Ok, so it's been awhile since I posted anything.. not sure if I updated our chicken status lately, but as it turns out, I ended up with 4 roos and 3 pullets out of my mixed batch of 7 bantam chicks! Not a good ratio! And I am so attached to them all, I hate to have to do it, but I have found a home for the two youngest roos. Now that I know that both my speckled sussex and the silver sebrite are roos, it makes sense to me why the other roo boys would not tolerate them.
    So, now I am faced with the problem of how to say goodbye to two of my sweeties. Poor Robinhood thinks I'm his mama, so I know it's going to be hard on him. (Probably harder on me, though) I do plan on taking some good pics before they go to their new homes.
    How do you deal with re-homing chickens?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I'm sorry you are in this position. That's really hard.

I had to re-home a rooster last year. I was very fortunate that I found a wonderful lady who needed a roo for her flock of hens. She gave him a great home (she even sent me pictures to see him with his new flock ... he looked so proud!) and it really helped me to let go.

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Yup - if you can possibly find a home with someone you know that can make it easier.
    When I had to rehome my gorgeous sweet Edward I found a coworker to take him. Even though she doesn't consider her chickens pets like I do, I know she is humane and caring and I'm sure that he is treated properly. Also, I can get periodic updates, which helps me.

4. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    Yes, Robinhood is going to live with a family who lives near where we live now. They have 14 hens, and a few children, and were looking for a gentle, hand-raised roo. Robinhood will be perfect for their little tree farm, plus, he'll be able to free range during the day.
    Abigail (who I am sure will get a boy name at his new home) is going to live with a young lady who lives near my office. She needs a boy for her girls, and loves sebrites, so I am excited for them both.
    Now I am in the process of finding a few more pullets for my flock.

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I was in the same position as you. I grew attached to the two chickens that turned out to be roos. They were my prettiest ones too! Fortunately, I found them both great homes via Craigslist and here. They are both living a great life and I feel very content knowing this. I love chicks but I'm seriously leaning towards only getting grown hens now to avoid issues like these in the future. It's just too hard on my emotions because I get attached very easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by