How Do I Screen Out Those Who Want to Eat them?

Do you remember how I wondered whether the one man who called interested in my roosters might be into cockfighting or at least plan to eat my roosters? He mentioned having 50 roosters, etc., and this raised red flags for us?

Well, I drove to the address he had given me yesterday, and it turned out to be a business park with no homes around! So then I called the phone number he had given me and it is disconnected!

I thought, being a non-native English speaker, he might have reversed the address. So I looked it up on WhitePages.com No such address. I called the neighbors who were close to that address, and they said it is a business address, not a home.

Sooooo, I really do wonder about him, now! LOL. I think he was up to no good!

I got another call tonight from someone interested in one of my roosters. He said he has no hens yet, but he just thought he'd start with a rooster. I asked if he was planning to get hens, and he said yes, but not for a month or so, and he was going to get baby chicks. I told him I didn't know whether a rooster would do well with chicks. I told him I didn't think his area was zoned for roosters, but he said he has 3 neighbors who have chickens, and he thought they would be very supportive. I asked why he wanted a rooster, and he said his folks had always had chickens when he was growing up. They live in Park City. I asked whether he could get some chickens from them, and he said they have a hard time parting with any of their chickens. I told him I love to garden, and he said he does, too. He has a half an acre for his backyard. So what I'm wondering is, since Charlie Brown has discovered the joys of mating with Esther already, would it be a terrible hardship for him to put him into a situation where there are no hens? Or would it not matter to him if no hens were around to stir up his hormones? I'm wondering, though, whether he might hear the neighbors' chickens and get frustrated? The man has 2 kittens, a pit bull dog who is very sweet, and some pet lizards. He said they all get along very well. A pit bull does scare me, although I've known nice ones. What do you all think of this set-up? I do worry about the predators at the farm that could get my roosters. Cougars, bears, raccoons, hawks, eagles, coyotes, owls. I told him about my frounce worry with Alfredo's pigeon, and he seemed to know about frounce. I asked him if he'd eat my boy, and he assured me that was not his intention. I told him I'd invested a lot of love and energy in raising Charlie, and he said he certainly understood. He said he spends a lot of time at the farm store, which isn't far from where he lives. I just don't know...

that is why i end up with bachelor pens.... i don't trust folks- i have a friend that caponizes her extra roos and they run with the flock- i figure if i raised and worked with them, i want to know they are safe- course i don't have a huge setup- reading what you wrote- if it were me, Charlie would stay put- it just sounds pretty odd to me, do you have the room to set up a roo pen?

Last edited:
if its like anything ive delt with, then he wants them for training his fighting birds. ive tryed selling my roos and i offer to take them to there house, my reasons being...i want to see what there new homes ganna be like. and i never go alone. i bring one or tow people with me. one man had 100 or more roos tyed to blue buckets in a feild. all were game roos and all were dubbed. they were tied in a way so they coudnt reach one another. my roos were not game roos and were not dubbed. the only thing i could think of was he wanted them for bait birds.

If for any reason you are uncomfortable with someone just remember you don't owe them anything. I left with my chickens in my car after visiting a home of someone that wanted to buy them. I felt bad but, they are my pets and I am gonna do what is in their best interest. If you are uncomfortable with this man just tell him sorry you already found a home. I don't think I would let him have them it just doesn't sound right. Also charge at least 6 dollars a piece, I would think someone wanting to eat won't pay that much.

Good luck,
Michelle

Back
Top Bottom