1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I sex buff orpington chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Keenonf, Jul 14, 2010.

1. hedz82

hedz82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    I didn't watch the butchery video, only the chick sexing one. It is helpful in showing how to see the difference between males and females, but I really think there's something wrong with humanity. This is not how you treat live animals.Tossing them down shoots and tubes and conveyor belts by the thousands. I know they don't get hurt or broken bones, but they are stressed and are calling all the time. Take the nice, calm, happy music away and watch it with real sound. Always makes a BIG difference with animal cruelty footage. The screams. Just imagine they were dog puppies, or human babies, screaming at the top of their lungs. And I would say to you its totally fine to treat them that way because they don't actually get hurt.

4 people like this.
  2. Dixie1chick

Dixie1chick New Egg

Feb 17, 2015
    Oh grow up

2 people like this.
  3. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    Just to add a perspective....we hatched baby ducks last year and it was enlightening. The flock consisted of a momma, 2 other females and a male duck. Within the first 24 hours of hatching the babies were taken outside and made to keep up with the flock. When they reached the creek everyone left them behind. They quacked their little heads off saying" wait for me!" They had no choice but to jump in and swim and scramble over big rocks. Then the dad would pick them up by their heads and shake them like crazy, he did this repeatedly until I finally stepped in. The only thing I could think of was that he was testing them to weed out the weak ones. I was shocked to see how tough those ducklings were!

4. hedz82

Oct 25, 2012
    Dixie1chick: Do you think its childish to respond emotionally to animal distress? Because there is actually a biological basis for this that is evolutionary relevant. If we didn't we would have probably never domesticated a single animal species. By the way, I am not a bunny-hugger, I'm a scientist. A molecular biologist and chemical engineer. And I do agree with tmfineg, they are much tougher than they look, but when people stop responding to animals in pain and they are treated like products, I do believe there is something dangerously wrong. I am sure you know what else happens to chickens in the commercial poultry industry? Do you think it is childish to object to that as well? You see its a slippery slope..

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. DntBrnDPig

DntBrnDPig Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2015
    SE Tennessee
    Of course if places like this didn't exists the cost of chicken, chicken by products, and everything related to the chicken industry would sky rocket. Why imagine them to be human babies when they are chickens? Talk about slippery slope. When you go to cull extra roosters do you imagine them as human boys?

Is it heart warming? No. Is it necessary? Probably.

1 person likes this.
  6. hedz82

Oct 25, 2012
    I just say picture them as human babies because some people's scope of justice is warped and they don't empathize with anything non-human. I guess its a bad comparison. Some people feel sorry for kittens and puppies but not fish and reptiles. I think its important to note that just because a species doesn't express pain and suffering the way we do, doesn't mean it doesn't feel it. Fish and reptiles are vertebrates with the same central nervous system as ours and have been proven in scientific studies to experience pain and stress very similarly to mammals. But I digress.
    I agree certain things are necessary, like euthanasia or humane culling. But billions of chickens and other livestock are abused every day in our society in a manner that is not necessary or justifiable. And I guess its hard to draw the line, but we have to remain vigilant.
    And us as chicken lovers should be advocates for their humane treatment.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  7. Rooster1918

Rooster1918 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2015
    Real tought to sex chicks

8. laceykins

laceykins Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2014
    Centennial, CO
    Seriously! What in the world are they doing handling those chicks like they are rocks or something. How traumatizing! Wish I read your warning higher on the thread!

9. sport14692

sport14692 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Carencro, La
    Does this sexing method work for all breeds of chickens?

10. KirstieJG

KirstieJG Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2015
    Nope. Its a genetic trait so only on some chickens I believe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by