HOW DO I SHIP CHICKS

In addition to shipping enough chicks for warmth (or with a heat pad), you have to ship chicks as day olds so that they can survive without food/water for 2 days. Otherwise, you have to wait until they are completely feathered out and ship them in adult shippers with biofilters.

That being said, it is typically safe to ship chicks as day old or again around 6-8 weeks old (and older). I would highly recommend using only Express shipping. Priority has no guarantee and while I know hatcheries use it, they can also easily refund or replace birds, which breeders cannot do so as easily. Express has a 2 day guarantee (sometimes next day), so it would ensure fast arrival and healthy birds.

Quote:
yeah at first i was going to buy from mcmurray but i had this feeling so i just order 26 chicks from Cackle hatchery and ALL of them survived and they sent 30 chicks! instead of 26 so i recomend to every one cackle hatchery.

I just bought 25 yesterday from Ideal and they said they will be sending between 10-15 roos to keep my order warm. So, I will let you all know around the 22nd of this month. I AM EXCITED!

One of the reasons I originally ordered from Ideal is because they are in Texas and I live in Florida so I figured they wouldn't have to be shipped so far. I didn't want Roo's. You have to pay extra for all pullets and so far I've been lucky and have gotten all pullets. This last batch has one in question that seems to be ahead of the others. It could be a Roo. I'm hoping not. I had one in my first batch that I thought might be a Roo too, but ended up laying an egg. Some just tend to develop faster than others. I think all hatcheries give a 90% guarantee.

Last edited:
I buy USPS chick shipping boxes online that will hold 25. Like MP said you have ship day olds or wait till they are 6 to 8 weeks. I have shipped both with great success. On the day olds I wouldn't just send 8 by theirselves with the cold weather though. I use a single stall Horison box for the started chicks. Put lots of grape and chopped apple in the bottom for them and ship express. My P.O. wont' let us ship lives any other way. Find out when the truck is leaving an what time you need to have them at the P.O. too. I try to get mine there about 20 min before they leave so they don't sit in Post office all nite. Make sure they are going to hatch when you can ship such as Sun nite mail Mond or Monday. Some states require NPIP forms so be sure an ship with the chicks. I usually tape on to box

My chicks will be coming all the way from texas to ky so I am really worried about them i hope they will be ok!.

I am not sure when mine will ship to me. I sent my payment in the mail on thursday so it prob didnt go out till friday. I suspect it will take about 2 to 3 days to get there so maybe by tuesday I hope. There shipping date is the 10th on buff silkies so I hope my order gets there in time before they are out if not my shipment wont send out till the 22nd.

Will I recive a e-mail when they recive my payment and when my shipment will be sent??

Back
Top Bottom