How do I shut my rooster up?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kayab423, Feb 10, 2009.

1. kayab423

kayab423 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    What do I do with a rooster that cockadoodles all night and day without any rhyme or reason? Is it chicken soup time? Please help!!!!

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    [​IMG] No shutting up rooster! Looks like soup time to me [​IMG]

3. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    that's what they do. he might be hearing a noise and trying to warn the flock or he might just like crooning. that's a rooster for you. [​IMG]

4. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Sounds like soup time to me! [​IMG] I am not sure there is any way to quiet a loud roo, if he is young maybe it will get better with age. [​IMG] Good luck!

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

6. SarahF

SarahF Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two bantam sultan roo's and they sound OFF of eachother. One will cock-a-doodle-do and than the next one will, and so on and so on. All day, All night. It's just what they do. My guys are far enough away from the house that you have to be pretty much outside to hear them, unless you have the window's open.

I say, it's better than a barking dog![​IMG]

7. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Have you tried duct tape. [​IMG]

I have heard if you put your rooster in a cage where he can not stand fully erect they won't crow. Every rooster I have seen crow seems to almost stand on his toes and stretches his neck so this might work.

1 person likes this.
  8. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:Ayup crowing nowhere near compares to barking dogs, even if they are my own. And I have one that howls of a night, we have started to bring him inside.

My bantams crows though can be barely heard even outside, but then they are only 10 weeks old.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, I wouldn't exactly kill him for what comes naturally to a healthy rooster, crowing! I have four of them. MUCH prefer crowing to ATVs, leafblowers, horns blaring, dogs barking all night, etc.

2 people like this.
  10. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

CEPHALIC SEPARATION!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by