How do I shut my rooster up?

Quote:
If it effecting "people complaining" then you need to find a new home for the roo or a pot pie for him.

I love my rooster but if it was effecting neighbors, that is when swift action needs to occur.

Quote:
Depends on size of coop of course, and type of insulation chosen (don't use insulation with formaldehyde) but it's not that bad. Also keeps coop warmer in winter and likely cooler in summer. Though always have ventilation up top somewhere. We covered the insulation with material the birds would not peck at so they wouldn't attempt to eat it. Don't use styrofoam that would be exposed because they love to gobble that down. Hardware cloth over the bottom several inches will help keep any critters from attempting to get in behind and nest in the insulation. No one can hear my roo when the building is closed up for the evening except in summer when it's crucial to have more air flow with their window open (tho usually people have AC on then and their own windows closed so it works out). The only times when it's more of of challenge is in very gorgeous weather when everyone has windows open.

I obsess about keeping things quiet for the very neighbors whose dogs bark incessantly! I cringe if my roo should in broad daylight declare a beautiful day by crowing even briefly - immediately I distract him so he'll stop, even though I would love to hear it, finding the sound of crowing infinitely more pleasing than a dog's incessant bark, especially the shrill barking! I worry that there will be a complaint if my roo crows for 2 minutes, even though the neighbors dogs go on and on for hours. A different standard in our society for dogs vs. chickens...... Any critter sounding off for a few minutes should be no big deal but in situations where they sound off for hours on end with neighbors in close proximity, measures to contain the sound should be taken (e.g. the dogs should be brought in or trained, roos sleeping quarters insulated and they don't go out till a decent hour...in consideration of those who don't enjoy crowing like many of us do!).

Hope it works out for your roo.
JJ

i was hoping for some answers lol...i think i may have to start locking my roo in a small cage at night...ive got people complaining that he crows starting a 5:30 every morning....tho ive never heard it....i really dont want to get rid of him bc he is the star of my breeding program lol....i would insulate my coop but how much would that cost?

I am sorry, granted some of the post might have been perceived as judgmental, but I did give you answers and so did others, maybe not the ones you wanted to hear but answers none the same.

Since I missed exactly who you are trying to hide the noise from , your family or neighbors, time of day etc. I will take something you said in your last post and expound on it.

When I lived in town I would keep the roosters in a coop that I insulated until I left for work at 7:30am. I made sure the roosters were cooped before 9:00pm. even in the summer.

My coop was board - 2"thick foam - then board. I never received a complaint from my neighbors and yet another person had to give up his rooster for crowing (he did not coop his bird).

I also could not hear the bird in the house even though my bedroom window was about 15 feet from the coop.

2" foam is not cheap, sorry to say.​

Before I lock my Roos up for the night
I give them a treat some warm cooked rice or
yogurt.this is usually about 8p.m.
they seem to even sleep longer who knows ??
but dont do the deed to a healthy bird thats doing what comes naturely..

When I stay the night somewhere away from home I miss them. One day, you will too​
VERY TRUE! Anyone who really loves their chickens puts up with what they know roosters do naturally (unless your worried about neighbors that is). I would totally miss my cochin crow if I never heard it again. I have four roos and each has his own crow and it's fun to listen to them battle back and forth! LOL My blue orp doesn't crow yet but soon! I can't wait to hear his first crow
big_smile.png
The rooster has been crowing since 2AM. The neighbors chicken coop is approximately 100 ft from the master bedroom side of my house. Every night he starts as early as Midnight whereas 2am is a little late for him to begin. he doesn’t stop until around 10AM. Starts back up around 2PM every single day. It’s now 5AM and he’s just as loud as can be constant back to back cocka doo rooo. Been trying to sleep since midnight. Some nights I may get 2 hours of sleep, other nights 30 minutes tops and on bad nights zero sleep sometimes for 2 days. I have got to get it on some sort of morning daylight schedule. Or just shut him up. I paid for 2 separate veterinary doctors and visits. One here local and one country vet about 50 miles away. Both said pretty much the same thing keep it in total darkness for a period of time weeks to months and only let him out of his crate or barn see daylight when it’s time and you want it to begin crowing. Basically to reset his clock. If that doesn’t work both vets said they would euthanize the rooster and try again with a new better improved version. Thing is it’s not my rooster. It’s just my problem. I use fans and even leave a radio playing all night but that rooster is LOUD. The rooster may have to move and get a new address. Any ideas? Is there any issue if he relocated himself to a different zip code? I myself am an animal lover but this is ridiculous. Seriously ridiculous. The owner said he hates the rooster but his wife and 2 young children are attached He does have a handful of chickens also. But They never make noise.

Have you tried a rooster collar? The bird can breathe and do things normally, but when he goes to crow It gets tight and the roo does not like it. It takes a few days to a week to work but eventually, he will not crow as much. I have never used, even with all 11 of my roosters. I don't mind it and my Neighbors are from Jamaka so they don't care either, they told me all the chickens sound like home. But I have had friends that used them since they lived in a small neighborhood, and they all said It worked quite well. Hope this helps

If he is a young roo he may grow out of it.

Are there any light sources outside near their coop? Light could be keeping the chickens (and Roo) awake.

edit to add: Dang this thread is old - 2009!

The rooster has been crowing since 2AM. The neighbors chicken coop is approximately 100 ft from the master bedroom side of my house. Every night he starts as early as Midnight whereas 2am is a little late for him to begin. he doesn’t stop until around 10AM. Starts back up around 2PM every single day. It’s now 5AM and he’s just as loud as can be constant back to back cocka doo rooo. Been trying to sleep since midnight. Some nights I may get 2 hours of sleep, other nights 30 minutes tops and on bad nights zero sleep sometimes for 2 days. I have got to get it on some sort of morning daylight schedule. Or just shut him up. I paid for 2 separate veterinary doctors and visits. One here local and one country vet about 50 miles away. Both said pretty much the same thing keep it in total darkness for a period of time weeks to months and only let him out of his crate or barn see daylight when it’s time and you want it to begin crowing. Basically to reset his clock. If that doesn’t work both vets said they would euthanize the rooster and try again with a new better improved version. Thing is it’s not my rooster. It’s just my problem. I use fans and even leave a radio playing all night but that rooster is LOUD. The rooster may have to move and get a new address. Any ideas? Is there any issue if he relocated himself to a different zip code? I myself am an animal lover but this is ridiculous. Seriously ridiculous. The owner said he hates the rooster but his wife and 2 young children are attached He does have a handful of chickens also. But They never make noise.

Are there noise ordinances where you live? Or chicken ordinances? The owner might have to comply, that could be his excuse if he hates the rooster too.
It isn’t just light sources, but sounds that can initiate crowing.
It isn’t something wrong w the rooster, unfortunately it’s normal.

Crowing is just what roosters do...Especially when you have more than one or two. Buying sexed pullets lowers the odds of getting stuck with too many cockerels.I have autosexing breeds so I can tell the girls from the boys at an early age.This gives me more time to rehome them before they start crowing & lowers the risk of my getting attached to them.

Back
Top Bottom