How do I stop aggression?

I have 33 toms, no a mean one in the bunch. I treat them like turkeys and not pets as they are not intended to be pets. They understand that I am not a turkey and as such fear me in that regard but are not wild because they know who butters their bread each day. The only remedy for a mean tom is to remove him from the situation, as he gets older and larger he will get strong enough to hurt you and he will not be re-educated in this regard. If you choose to keep him and deal with this behavior then I wish you well, I would get rid of him and get another mature tom that shows no signs of aggressive behavior.

Blessings,

Bo
I don't keep that many but I do similarly. I have turkeys, not pets.

It all matters how they imprint too. Mine were all friendly, but we didn't baby them. They respected us and we respected them. We only had one that I babied, but he didn't have hens to show off to either since (I forget why) he was in a different flock out of sight and only had chickens for company
All we ever did was pick them up a couple times when they were babies. Most of the time they spend with chicks and not other baby turkeys. I never really picked him up or babied him because he just didn’t want to be picked up

I have 33 toms, no a mean one in the bunch. I treat them like turkeys and not pets as they are not intended to be pets. They understand that I am not a turkey and as such fear me in that regard but are not wild because they know who butters their bread each day. The only remedy for a mean tom is to remove him from the situation, as he gets older and larger he will get strong enough to hurt you and he will not be re-educated in this regard. If you choose to keep him and deal with this behavior then I wish you well, I would get rid of him and get another mature tom that shows no signs of aggressive behavior.

Blessings,

Bo
We aren’t the type to get rid of problem animals, if anything we take them in. If anyone has any tips on how to at least keep him away from me that would be great. Everyone suggested getting rid of him or eating him but we just won’t do either, just like you don’t get rid of problem dogs or cats. Chickens aren’t intended to be pets either but people get them as pets all the time. Our turkeys are our babies. I appreciate all the advice but I’m really looking for how to try and keep him in check and not people telling me to get rid of
Him.

We aren’t the type to get rid of problem animals, if anything we take them in. If anyone has any tips on how to at least keep him away from me that would be great. Everyone suggested getting rid of him or eating him but we just won’t do either, just like you don’t get rid of problem dogs or cats. Chickens aren’t intended to be pets either but people get them as pets all the time. Our turkeys are our babies. I appreciate all the advice but I’m really looking for how to try and keep him in check and not people telling me to get rid of
Him.
My first post said that you can seperate him. Build him a pen that he stays in by himself

I understand. My turkeys are the same, they are pets, and I think of their spot in my home like a dog or cat. My Tom's were all babied, and I've had no aggressive behavior aimed at me. The worst I had was my favorite tom going after my mom and trying to tread my legs while I sat down, and sadly after a year I decided it was best for him and us to rehome him. I always kept the offer open to buy him back if it didnt work out. I still worry about him all the time. He saw me as another turkey, but I think he saw me as a hen and not a competitor tom.

I think the best solution for you would to be to separate him. I dont know how to curb aggression towards you, since my boy only was aggressive to everyone but me. I hope you can find something that works.

Last edited:
I understand. My turkeys are the same, they are pets, and I think of their spot in my home like a dog or cat. My Tom's were all babied, and I've had no aggressive behavior aimed at me. The worst I had was my favorite tom going after my mom and trying to tread my legs while I sat down, and sadly after a year I decided it was best for him and us to rehome him. I always kept the offer open to buy him back if it didnt work out. I still worry about him all the time. He saw me as another turkey, but I think he saw me as a hen and not a competitor tom.

I think the best solution for you would to be to separate him. I dont know how to curb aggression towards you, since my boy only was aggressive to everyone but me. I hope you can find something that works.
Thank you, do you think he will get lonely all by himself? :( it’s currently just him and the one hen and they were raised together. I feel bad separating because they were raised together. Thankfully he doesn’t attack my mother and only me lol. I think I’ll just let her go in the coop and take a stick with me if I decide to go down

Thank you, do you think he will get lonely all by himself? :( it’s currently just him and the one hen and they were raised together. I feel bad separating because they were raised together. Thankfully he doesn’t attack my mother and only me lol. I think I’ll just let her go in the coop and take a stick with me if I decide to go down
I recommend a broom rather than a stick. You can keep him away pushing the bristles of the broom against him without risking an injury to him.

Last edited:

I'm sure he might get lonely, but it might be the only option at this point. Unless you're maybe willing to get him some adult hens that you won't be as eager to imprint on (I know I always have issues with ANY baby poultry, I can't stay away from them). You could look into getting some young ladies to go with your other hen as well to keep her company too. It really sucks, every time I've raised a turkey and realized I've gotten a tom I try to rehome them before more signs of them being a tom pokes up because I know it's such a gamble with their personality + in my situation, more then 1 or 2 toms in general just isn't a good idea.

Turkeys are also sensitive to color and react to them differently, I wear the same type clothes to the farm everyday; overalls, long sleeve shirt, rubber boots and a wide brim hat, no changes whatsoever. When I was young a had a bronze tom that was Satan incarnate and he hated children, all the neighborhood kids were terrified of him and he would tree them on the swing set each morning as we waited for the school bus, he was never aggressive towards me unless I wore white tennis shoes, when I wore them then it was on and I had to beat him with whatever I had handy. Change your attire so he doesn't recognize you and maybe that will work.
Wasn't trying to be mean in my previous post, I just understand that once they get mean they do not change their demeanor and I don't want you to get hurt. I have slate toms that are in the neighborhood of 36 lbs and I wouldn't want to have to fight them off everyday.

Blessings,

Bo

I've raised BRs only one was actively aggressive. In a dangerous Manor for being full grown. I did suddenly escalate on him and snatched him up by the throat until he passed out then left him. Never bothered me again. He was the extra turkey I left to be a buddy turkey to my long time pet turkey they got along well together. For what he was doing and his size if it hadn't of worked we would of eaten him. Not worth the damage they can do to you , children or company if they not penned up.

People always stop on the road seeing the turkeys in the yard. They get out to get pictures thinking all that line dancing is cute. It's all oooh. Aww at first as they get closer. Then blood curddling screaming as they scatter and run. Needed a sign forget the 9 German Shepherd dogs beware of the turkey's lol

Back
Top Bottom