how do i stop cat from chasing chickens!

bonniebe

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 20, 2010
petoskey, michigan
i got some adult chickens last fall. today i was watching as my cat was stalking and chasing my standard sized hens! he wasn't in kill and eat mode, but he did have my girls getting some exercise. i am not worried about the adults, but my peepers should be here tomorrow. they'll be in my spare room under lock and key for while, but eventually they need to graduate outside (thats what my DH insists). i am very worried because if he is chasing the big girls, the littler, and even mid sized ones might not stand much of a chance. i have a little time to get it figured out. i was thinking of using my dog's shock collar but i might have to wrap it around his body a couple times, lol, i also am worried if/when i saw him chasing the babies i would be mad enough to shock the living stuffing out of him. (can you say fried cat?) what am i gonna do????'
hu.gif
',

Last edited:
Here is what we did with our outside cat; we held her infront of our 12 week old birds and let them peck at her face. When she saw that the chickens weren't afraid to peck her she wanted nothing to do with them.

Last edited:
i like it!! i did think about stuffing tom in a live trap and throwing scratch directly over him to encourage the chickens to peck at/around him. sort of the same thoughts you had. i wish i had a good mama hen to take after him. thats how i went into premature labor with my my second baby. i took my 12 month old daugher out to see the mama and chicks and she took off after us. she did not let up. there i was carrying one kid and pregnant out to next week with another, being chased by a psycho mother hen. i lumbered all over the yard with that whacked out hen on my heels. i thought i wet my pants, until i realized my water broke. my second daughter was born the next day, 5 weeks early.

hmmmmm, i wonder,,, ask her if she'd like a nice all expense paid trip to beautiful northern michigan. i could show her the sights, take her out to dinner and maybe a movie (chicken run, perhaps) and maybe she could teach my girls to cowboy up and get tough.

Back
Top Bottom